Increasing adoption of electric vehicles and transition toward 5G are the primary factors driving the growth of the global RF GaN market. The RF GaN market is also expected to experience a significant growth, over the forecast period, due to the increasing demand for power electronics that consume less power and are energy efficient. GaN possess dynamic electrical and chemical properties, such as high-voltage breakdown and saturation velocity, which makes them the apt choice for use in a variety of switching devices. However, issues related to the high cost of raw materials and production processes are expected to challenge the growth of the RF GaN market.
The Aerospace and Defense Sector to Offer Many Growth Opportunities
Modernization of defense equipment has created the need for high-power semiconductor devices, such as GaN RF devices. ICs used in radar boards incorporate GaN that enables efficient navigation, facilitate collision avoidance, and enable real-time air traffic control.
The RF power amplifiers used in the radar systems are low on power and performance. The bandwidth performance and efficiency of GaN-based RF power amplifiers are higher than that of silicon-based RF power amplifiers. As GaN is more powerful than Si, GaN-based RF amplifiers used in the radars deliver higher performance, in terms of power and radar range. This reduces the number of radar systems required to monitor the same perimeter, thereby cutting the cost. Thus, the demand for GaN RF devices is expected to increase in the defense sector, during the forecast period.
Moreover, increasing focus of the Europe Space Agency (ESA) on the increased usage of GaN across space projects and GaN-based transistors in the military and defense sectors will further aid the RF GaN market to expand, over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Occupy the Highest Market Share
The pre-established electronics industry and adoption of innovative technologies have provided organizations a competitive edge in the market, in the Asia-Pacific region. Moreover, the region has the presence of several major RF power vendors, such as Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (Japan), Toshiba Corporation (Japan), and Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd. (Japan). Hence, there is a high level of competitiveness among the players in the electronics industry in the Asia-Pacific region.
Increasing demand for better cellular networks from China, India, South Korea, Taiwan, and Malaysia and the production of semiconductor devices are expected to drive the growth in the RF GaN market in this region. With countries, such as China, India, and South Korea, actively trying to strengthen IoT platforms, governments of these developing countries are also entering into various strategic collaborations to leverage IoT advancements for smart cities and automation, thus, reinforcing the development of the RF GaN market in Asia-Pacific.
Governments of various countries in the region are also developing infrastructure for electric and autonomous vehicles to drive the adoption of RF GaN technology. For instance, the Indian government is focusing on creating charging infrastructure and policy framework to ensure that, by 2030 more than 30% of vehicles in the country are electric vehicles.
Key Developments in the Market
- Jun 2018: NXP Semiconductors NV launched new RF GaN wideband power transistors and expanded its Airfast third-generation Si-LDMOS portfolio of macro- and outdoor small-cell solutions to enable next-generation 5G mobile networks.
- Mar 2018: Cree Inc. acquired the assets of Infineon Technologies AG RF Power Business for approximately EUR 345 million. This acquisition has strengthened company's leadership position in RF GaN-on-SiC technologies. This also provides access to additional markets and customers and enhances packaging expertise.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Impact of the increasing usage of RF GaN on the market
- Analysis of various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
- The segments that are expected to dominate the market
- Regional analysis of the market, during the forecast period
- Latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players and key innovators
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Study Deliverables
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. RF GaN Market Insights
4.1 RF GaN Market Overview
4.2 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.2.5 Competitive Rivalry in the Industry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Technology Roadmap
5. RF GaN Market Dynamics
5.1 RF GaN Market Drivers
5.1.1 Proliferation of IoT and Smart Cities
5.1.2 Proliferation of Electric Vehicles and Power Electronics
5.1.3 Growing Transition toward 5G Implementation
5.2 RF GaN Market Restraints
5.2.1 High Cost of Raw Materials and Production Processes
6. Global RF GaN Market - Segmentation
6.1 By Material
6.1.3 Other Materials
6.2 By Application
6.2.1 Wireless Infrastructure
6.2.2 Aerospace and Defense
6.2.3 Community Access Television (CATV)
6.2.4 Satellite Communication
6.2.5 Other Applications
6.3 By Region
6.3.1 North America RF GaN Market Share (2018-2023)
6.3.2 Europe RF GaN Market Share (2018-2023)
6.3.3 Asia-Pacific RF GaN Market Share (2018-2023)
6.3.4 Latin America RF GaN Market Share (2018-2023)
6.3.5 Middle East & Africa RF GaN Market Share (2018-2023)
7. Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
7.1 Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd
7.2 RFHIC Corporation
7.3 Aethercomm Inc.
7.4 Analog Devices Inc.
7.5 Cree Inc.
7.6 GaN Systems Inc.
7.7 Integra Technologies Inc.
7.8 M/A-COM Technology Solutions Holdings Inc.
7.9 Microsemi Corporation
7.10 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
7.11 NXP Semiconductors NV
7.12 Qorvo Inc.
7.13 STMicroelectronics NV
7.14 Toshiba Corporation
*List Not Exhaustive
8. Investment Analysis
9. Future of the Global RF GaN Market
- Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd.
- RFHIC Corporation
- Aethercomm Inc.
- Analog Devices Inc.
- Cree Inc.
- GaN Systems Inc.
- Integra Technologies Inc.
- M/A-COM Technology Solutions Holdings Inc.
- Microsemi Corporation
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- NXP Semiconductors N.V.
- Qorvo Inc.
- STMicroelectronics N.V.
- Toshiba Corporation