Southeast Asia is the World’s Fastest Growing Region for PC Online Games Revenue
What you’ll learn from this report:
Southeast Asia is the world’s fastest-growing region for PC online games revenue. The region is also home to the fastest growing market for esports. Teams, tournaments, and investment are all hot in the region, with no sign of slowing down. Improvements in internet infrastructure as well as disposable income, coupled with demand for esports games, tournaments, streaming, and more, have set the stage for continued growth in the next 5 years. Investment in the region by multinational companies and country governments will continue to boost this growth. The region represents a huge opportunity however each country’s different culture, gamer preferences, and spending behaviors mean there is no one size fits all approach to the region. Further, while the regulatory landscape is more relaxed than China, several countries have regulations that do impact strategy for the region.
Key takeaways from the analysis:
- Southeast Asia is the world’s fastest-growing region for PC online games revenue.
- Macroeconomic drivers of games growth in GSEA are the increase in the number of internet users, growth in disposable income across the region, and improvements in the internet infrastructure, as well as widespread 4G networks soon to be updated to 5G. These along with the support of governments lead to a prime growth environment in the region.
- With the growth in income we have seen a shift from low spend games to high spend games, and demand for hardcore and esports games that typically require higher spending than casual games.
- The countries poised for biggest growth in PC online gaming are Indonesia and Thailand. Vietnam and China Taiwan are the biggest now.
- Esports is the #1 driver for the growth of PC gaming in the region and is helping to build other industries as well, even tourism. Gamers are motivated by competition and completion, according to the segmentation analysis, which supports the demand for esports.
- Combined PC online and mobile games revenue is projected to grow from $4.4 billion in 2018 to $7.5 billion in 2022.
- The number of gamers in the region is projected to grow from 244 million in 2018 to 309 million in 2022.
- Total PC online game revenue will reach $2 billion in 2018.
- A comprehensive analysis of the SEA region as a whole and by individual country, including:
- China Taiwan
- Market model and 5-year forecast through 2022 by games segment
- Growth drivers and trends
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis on gamer demand, demographics, behavior, and usage for PC online games
- Top games, publishers, and gaming hardware
- Discovery and distribution
- Spending and payments
- 130 slides, 100+ data exhibits
Table of Contents
1. Executive summary
2. Market size & forecast
3. GSEA regional data
4. GSEA esports
5. GSEA gamer segmentation analysis
10. China Taiwan
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI)
- Cash Point
- Cherry Credits
- CIB Net
- Electronic Arts
- Electronics Extreme
- Gajah Technology
- GATE Online services
- Globe Telecom
- Gravity (WarpPortal)
- Gravity Games
- IAH Games
- Lager Technologies
- Multi Game Card
- Ngan Luong
- PlayOne Asia
- Qeon Interactive
- Sea Ltd
- Shanda Games International
- Telkom Indonesia
- Touch n' Go
- True Digital Plus
- True Money
- VTC Intecom
- Winner Online