A Combination of Factors Such as Technological Advances, Favorable Policies, and Growing Demand Will Prop the Chinese SiC Industry to Soar.
Silicon carbide (SiC) is the most mature and the most widely used among third-generation wide bandgap semiconductor materials. Over the past two years, global SiC market capacity, however, hovered around 3 million tons due to producers’ unwillingness to expand production, a result of high technical barriers (unstable quality of the raw material crystal column). China’s SiC market remains in large size despite a late start, with its capacity sharing roughly 70% of the global total in 2018.
Although China boasts a large SiC capacity, most of the Chinese companies make little use of their capacity, stopping production or just producing sometimes on account of environmental campaigns. In 2018, China’s SiC output reached 910,000 tons (with capacity utilization close to 40%), an annualized slump of 15.7%. In the country, SiC products fall into black and green types, of which black SiC prevails in the market. In 2018, China produced 850,000 tons of black SiC (or 93.4% of the country’s total SiC output), 15% less than in the previous year; its green SiC output plunged by 25% to 60,000 tons. The ever-wider use of diamond in solar wafer cutting was another big reason why SiC output took a nosedive.
In China, demand from SiC power devices will be a stimulus to SiC market growth, and traditional applied industries like refractories and abrasives will need less. It can be seen from the trends of the international market that foreign automotive semiconductor vendors have set about seeking for long-term partnerships with SiC wafer suppliers; in the Chinese market, the collaborations between the Institute of Electrical Engineering (IEE) of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Tsinghua University and Belgium’s CISSOID in 2019, are a boon for massive application of SiC devices to new energy vehicles. Additionally, SiC devices are extensively used in 5G base stations. In 2019, Xidian University succeeded in the trial production of a 5G communication chip by using new-generation gallium nitride (GaN) material based on SiC substrate, breaking the overseas monopoly and paving the way for SiC being applied to domestic 5G market.
The burgeoning sectors like new energy vehicles and 5G will push up global SiC power semiconductor market size to a staggering $1.6 billion in 2025, compared with less than $400 million in 2018. The figure is expected to surge to virtually $5.0 billion in 2030, at an AAGR of at least 20%.
China Silicon Carbide Industry Report, 2019-2025 highlights the following:
- Global silicon carbide industry (smelting and processing, power semiconductors) (market size, key companies, etc.)
- China silicon carbide industry (policy environment, industry status, and development trend)
- China silicon carbide smelting and processing market (supply and demand, import and export, key companies and price trend)
- China silicon carbide semiconductor industry (market size, industry chain (substrates, epitaxies, devices, etc.), key companies, etc.)
- 15 Chinese silicon carbide smelting and processing companies and 12 silicon carbide semiconductor vendors (operation, revenue structure, silicon carbide business, etc.).
Table of Contents
1.2 Properties and Applications
1.3 Industry Chain
2.1.1 Market Situation
2.1.2 Key Companies
2.2 Silicon Carbide Power Semiconductor
2.2.2 Market Situation
2.2.3 Silicon Carbide Substrate
2.2.4 Silicon Carbide Epitaxial Wafer
2.2.5 SiC Power Devices
2.2.6 Key Companies
3.2 Status Quo
3.3 Development Trend
4.1.3 Blade Grade Silicon Carbide
4.2 Import and Export
4.3 Price Trend
4.4 Corporate Competition
5.2 SiC Substrate
5.2.1 Status Quo
5.2.2 Key Companies
5.3 Silicon Carbide Epitaxial Wafer
5.4 Silicon Carbide Device
6.1.1 Quartz Sand
6.1.3 Petroleum coke
6.2 Downstream Sectors
6.2.3 Iron & Steel
6.2.4 Special Ceramics
6.2.7 New Energy Vehicles
6.2.8 Microwave Device
6.2.9 5G Communication Base Station
7.1.3 Revenue Structure
7.1.4 Gross Margin
7.1.5 R&D and Investment
7.1.6 Clients and Suppliers
7.1.7 Silicon Carbide Business
7.1.8 Prediction and Outlook
7.2 Ningxia Orient Tantalum Industry Co., Ltd.
7.2.3 Revenue Structure
7.2.4 Gross Margin
7.2.5 Silicon Carbide Business
7.2.6 Development Strategy
7.3 JiangSu HaoBo New Materials Co., Ltd.
7.3.3 Revenue Structure
7.3.4 Gross Margin
7.3.5 Silicon Carbide Business
7.4 Pingluo Binhe Sic Co., Ltd.
7.4.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.5 Lanzhou Heqiao Resource Co., Ltd.
7.5.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.6 NingXia Tianjing Long Ding Silicon Carbide Co., Ltd.
7.6.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.7 Tianzhu Zhengyu Silicon Carbide Co., Ltd.
7.7.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.8 Ningxia Jinjing Metallurgicals & Minerals Industrial Co., Ltd.
7.8.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.9 Tonghua Hongxin Abrasive Co., Ltd.
7.9.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.10 Linshu Zhengyu Silicon Carbide Factory
7.10.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.11 Jiangsu Leyuan New Materials Group Co., Ltd.
7.11.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.12 Hanjiang Hongyuan Xiangyang Silicon Carbide Special Ceramics Co., Ltd.
7.12.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.12.3 Development Advantages
7.13 Yili Master Carborundum Products Co., Ltd.
7.13.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.14 Xinjiang Longhai Silicon Industry Development Co., Ltd.
7.14.2 Silicon Carbide Business
7.15 Shandong Jinmeng New Material Co., Ltd.
7.15.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.1.3 Revenue Structure
8.1.4 Gross Margin
8.1.5 Clients and Suppliers
8.1.6 R&D and Investment
8.1.7 Silicon Carbide Business
8.1.8 Development Strategy
8.2 SICC Science & Technology Co., Ltd.
8.2.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.3 Hebei Synlight Crystal Co., Ltd.
8.3.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.4 Beijing Century Goldray Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
8.4.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.5 Yangzhou Yangjie Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.
8.5.3 Silicon Carbide Business
8.6 Global Power Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
8.6.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.7 EpiWorld International Co., Ltd.
8.7.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.8 Semiconductor Business Unit of Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric Co., Ltd.
8.8.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.9 Dongguan Tianyu Semiconductor Technology Co., Ltd.
8.9.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.10 Xiamen Xinguangrunze Technology Co., Ltd.
8.10.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.11 Roshow Technology CO., Ltd.
8.11.2 Silicon Carbide Business
8.12 CISRI-Zhongke Energy Conservation and Technology Co., Ltd.
8.12.2 Silicon Carbide Business
- Beijing Century Goldray Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
- Beijing TanKeBlue Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)
- CISRI-Zhongke Energy Conservation and Technology Co., Ltd.
- Dongguan Tianyu Semiconductor Technology Co., Ltd.
- EpiWorld International Co., Ltd.
- Global Power Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
- Hanjiang Hongyuan Xiangyang Silicon Carbide Special Ceramics Co., Ltd.
- Hebei Synlight Crystal Co., Ltd.
- Henan Yicheng New Energy Co., Ltd.
- Institute of Electrical Engineering (IEE)
- JiangSu HaoBo New Materials Co., Ltd.
- Jiangsu Leyuan New Materials Group Co., Ltd.
- Lanzhou Heqiao Resource Co., Ltd.
- Linshu Zhengyu Silicon Carbide Factory
- Ningxia Jinjing Metallurgicals & Minerals Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Ningxia Orient Tantalum Industry Co., Ltd.
- NingXia Tianjing Long Ding Silicon Carbide Co., Ltd.
- Pingluo Binhe Sic Co., Ltd.
- Roshow Technology CO., Ltd.
- Semiconductor Business Unit of Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric Co., Ltd.
- Shandong Jinmeng New Material Co., Ltd.
- SICC Science & Technology Co., Ltd.
- Tianzhu Zhengyu Silicon Carbide Co., Ltd.
- Tonghua Hongxin Abrasive Co., Ltd.
- Tsinghua University
- Xiamen Xinguangrunze Technology Co., Ltd.
- Xidian University
- Xinjiang Longhai Silicon Industry Development Co., Ltd.
- Yangzhou Yangjie Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.
- Yili Master Carborundum Products Co., Ltd.