- SBK Czech Bank Card Association (SBK/BCA).
Domestic Payment Brand
- No domestic card scheme
- Continued growth of card use. By end-2017, there were 11.7 million cards with 84.0 card payments per capita.
- Cards issued are credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards. 83.5% of cards are debit cards that are increasingly used. According to SBK/BCA, 83.3% of cards were contactless cards at end-2017.
- The largest Czech banks are owned by European bank groups: ČSOB by KBC (B), Komerční Banka by Société Générale (F), Česká spořitelna by Erste Group (A), and UniCredit Bank (I).
- The three large banks dominate the market, with Česká spořitelna accounting for 24.2% of cards issued.
- Reshaped Czech acquirer market: in 2016, acquiring joint ventures were established: REVO (Raiffeisen/EVO Payments), Erste/Global Payments, KB SmartPay (Komerční Banka/Worldline).
- Emerging Open Banking ecosystem.
Notable Market Trends
- Rollout: contactless cards, POS terminals, MPOS terminals,
- HCE NFC payments, banking apps, digital wallet MasterPass.
Statistical Key Figures for 2017 provided in this profile:
- UPDATED: tables with card business data 2013-2017; growth rates: Y-o-Y, CAGR
- Population, Cards per Capita, Card Value per Capita
- Debit Cards, Credit/Delayed Debit Cards, Total Cards
- Card payments by number and by value, ATV per card, payments per card/year
- ATMs, POS terminals, ATMs/POS terminals per 1 million capita
- ATM withdrawals by number/by value, ATV per withdrawal, TXs per ATM/month
- POS payments by number/by value, ATV per POS payment, TXs per POS/month
- Internet Use, e-payment mix, B2C e-Commerce by value and growth rate
- Issued Card brands by individual major issuer bank
- Accepted card brands by individual major acquirer
- Drill down into the debit card use and credit cards use details