E-Commerce boosted by spread of COVID-19 in Argentina
As in many other nations, Argentine citizens were asked to stay at home in March of this year as the coronavirus pandemic developed. The confinement pushed consumers to shop online at a rated even higher than the incremental year on year growth that had been seen in 2019. A survey cited in the report reflects that over half of shoppers in Argentina purchased digitally in March, some making their initial online purchase because of the confinement. Online sales volume increased significantly, but because of underlying challenges to the Argentine economy, sustained growth is questionable.
The coronavirus brought a shift in product categories purchased online
The sales of electronics, already a leading product category, received a boost as Argentinians made purchases to stay connected to work and school at a distance. Supermarket purchases online more than doubled in April, as detailed in the report. Online entertainment streaming and home delivery of prepared food also saw increased demand during the spread of COVID-19.
Online merchants in Argentina see sales volume spurt during the pandemic
Argentina-based Mercado Libre, a leader in Latin America and top online marketplace at home, saw healthy sales growth in the March-May period. Competitors Favega.com and Falabela.com experienced even higher percentage traffic increases during the peak of the lockdown period as displayed in the report. Most Argentine consumers use a credit card to pay for their purchases from online merchants.
The report covers the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on B2C E-Commerce and online payments in Argentina.
- The report starts with an overview, highlighting the overall impact of COVID-19 on B2C E-Commerce development in the respective country.
- Next, the “Sales & Shares” section covers the development of E-Commerce sales prior to the outbreak and the changes in the first months since the start of the pandemic.
- The “Users & Shoppers” section provides information on the Internet penetration and online shopper penetration in the country amid the pandemic.
- Afterwards, the section “Products & Verticals” shows the leading product categories purchased online before and during COVID-19.
- The next section, “Payment”, covers the payment methods most used by online shoppers before the outbreak, and the impact of the pandemic on online payment adoption.
- The “Delivery” section provides information related to delivery in E-Commerce.
- Finally, the “Players” section includes information about the leading E-Commerce companies in the country and the impact of the Coronavirus on their website traffic.
Please note: For this report, the purchase of an Enterprise license allows up to ten worldwide users of an organization access to the report
1. Management Summary
- Overview of COVID-19 Impact on B2C E-Commerce Market, June 2020
3. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Sales & Shares
- Retail E-Commerce Sales, in ARS billion, by B2C and C2C, 2014-2019
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, in % Year-on-Year Change, 2016-2022f
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2019
- E-Commerce Growth in Sales, Orders, and Items Purchased, in %, April 2020 vs. Monthly Average for January-March 2020
- Perceived COVID-19 Impact On E-Commerce Sales, in % of Retail & Wholesale Companies, May 2020
4. Impact on Online Shoppers
- Information Technology Penetration, by Internet, Computer and Mobile Phone, in % of Individuals, by Age Group, Q4 2018 & Q4 2019
- Breakdown of Frequency of Shopping Online, in % of Online Shoppers, October 2019
- Top 5 Drivers of Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, 2019
- Perceived Disadvantages of Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, 2019
- Share of Consumers Shopping Online In Order To Avoid Going To Stores, in %, March 12-13 and March 20-21, 2020
- Breakdown of Changes in Frequency of Buying Online Due To COVID-19, in % of Online Shoppers, March 2020
- Share of New Online Shoppers Who Bought Online For The First Time During COVID-19 And Who Would Continue Buying Online, in %, March 2020
- New Buyers’ Share of E-Commerce Orders, in %, April 2020
5. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Product Segments & Online Verticals
- B2C E-Commerce Sales by Product Categories, in ARS billion, 2016 - 2019
- E-Commerce Sales Growth, by Selected Merchant Categories, in %, April 2020 vs. Monthly Average for January-March 2020
- Online Sales of Supermarkets, in ARS million, and Year-on-Year Change, in %, January-April 2020
- Online Share of Total Supermarket Sales, in %, January 2020 - April 2020
- Selected Digital Activities Conducted More Often Or Tried For the First Time Since the COVID-19 Outbreak, in % of Adults, May 2020
6. Impact on Online Payment
- Breakdown of Payment Methods Preferred in E-Commerce, in %, 2019
- Payment Methods Used in E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, July 2019
- Preferred Two-Factor Payment Authentication Options During Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, July 2019
- Proximity Mobile Payment User Penetration, in % of Smartphone Users, 2019
- Selected Mobile Payment Apps Used, incl. Penetration, in % of Devices, and Active Users, in % of All Users, July 2019
- Breakdown of Consumer Expectations Regarding The Use of Online Payment Methods Post-COVID-19 Outbreak, in %, April 2020
- Share of Retail & Wholesale Companies Who Introduced New Payment Methods During COVID-19, May 2020
7. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Delivery
- Breakdown of E-Commerce Shipments, by Delivery Time, in %, 2018 & 2019
8. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Players
- Share of Retail and Wholesale Companies Who Had an E-Commerce Channel During The Pandemic, in %, May 2020
- Top 3 E-Commerce Websites, by Total Visits, in millions, March 2020 & May 2020
- Top 9 Supermarket Websites, by Unique Visitors, in thousands, February 2020 & March 2020