The Neuro-Gaming Technology Market is expected to register a CAGR of 12% over the forecast period 2021 to 2026. Neuro-gaming technology, advanced technology in gaming, involves the utilization of brain-computer interfaces (BCI) such as the electroencephalography (EEG) technology, which allows users to interact with the game without using any traditional controller. In addition to the entertainment, neuro-gaming technology also solves the purpose of the healthcare and the well-being of the people by assisting in the treatment of brain disorders such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- The latest technologies, such as Neuro-gaming technology, are being used to create advanced gaming hardware and software. Assisting in the process, many developers have been designing advanced games intended to help people in improving physiological factors such as brainpower, health, and skills.
- Factors such as the increasing development of Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCIs), increasing usage of computers, laptops, and smartphones and the rise in the adoption of smart devices acts as some of the major drivers of the market. Besides, the surge in demand for more advanced technologies capable of adding multiple functionalities and features to the games is expected to drive the demand for neuro-gaming technology further.
- The culture of Neuro-gaming technology is still at an evolutionary stage. Hence, only a limited number of neuro games and a limited number of actions that are included in the game are available in the market. However, the rapid developments happening in the software and technologies could ensure that the neurogames become more challenging with multiple actions.
- Vendors in the market are also building custom games that are primarily being built to increase multiple cognitive factors such as the user’s multitasking ability, attention span, memory, among others. For instance, ‘NeuroRacer,’ one of the earliest neuro-games developed by Qneuro, is a racing game designed to improve the cognitive functioning of aging adults and to engage the multitasking portion of the user's brain. ‘Throw Trucks with Your Mind’ is another such game.
- Recent studies have shown that transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) aids in improving the ability to concentrate, learn, and be creative, by directing a mild electrical current to the player’s brain. For example, The US Air Force has confirmed that headsets with tDCS capability were able to significantly reduce the amount of training time for their pilots while using video simulators. The US army also uses them to improve the performance of snipers.
- Major technologies such as VR, AR, and haptic sensation systems are being leveraged by the neuro-gaming technology for making new games. The gaming industry is continuously evolving with the adoption of the latest technologies to capture the attention and imagination of gamers across the globe.
- Further, advancements in the technology to address the disorders in the Children could drive the demand for the technology. In June 2020, The US Food and Drug Administration has approved the first neuro game as a treatment for ADHD in children (primarily contributed to the research work done by Adam Gazzaley, a Neurology Professor at UCSF Weill Institute for Neurosciences).
- The COVID-19 outbreak and recent lockdown across the globe have affected the manufacturing activities, significantly impacting the production of the Brain-computer interfaces and required electrode materials. Although, in May 2020, many of these manufacturing sites resumed their operations, the disruptions caused in the initial four months in 2020 could result in order delays and lead time across the supply chain during 2020.
- With a significant number of enterprises operating in the end-user industries such as healthcare, education, and entertainment impacted due to the lockdown restrictions amidst the COVID-19, the market growth is expected to be challenged owing to significant reduction in the capital expenditure over the short term.
Key Market Trends
Education Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Psychologists and game developers have been working together, primarily to create games that can help in boosting the brain's function and also provide therapeutic benefits to all those people that are suffering from depression and other mental health disorders. Vendors in the market are putting efforts to make games for the healthcare industry.
- For instance, Akili Interactive has built a standard iPad game that can measure the differences in brain activity between a normal child and the one with ADHD or autism. The company has also mentioned that the game measures 65 different pieces of data every second through the gameplay itself. Moreover, the company also says that the game collects clear signatures that come out of the game which can tell exactly the cognitive deficits of the user.
- According to the Association for UK Interactive Entertainment (UKIE), in 2019, 11% of the employees in the games industry in the United Kingdom (UK) were neurodivergent. Employees diagnosed with dyslexia covered a share of 6%. 2% of the workers within the games industry had autism. In addition, according to the data NCHA, 9% of U.S. college students that reported ADHD as of fall 2019.
- Furthermore, the vendors in the market are also making games for the educational industry. For instance, Qneuro presented a game at the NeuroGaming Expo. It’s an educational game called "Axon Infinity: Space Academy" which comes with a futuristic, outer space theme in which users can learn math skills and apply them while playing missions when fighting aliens. Also, with the usage of an EEG, the game can adapt and gets more difficult based on the users brain readings.
North America is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- North America is expected to hold the largest market size and dominate the Neuro-Gaming Technology Market over the forecast period owing to the early adoption of technologies, and the presence of a large number of innovative developers, operating in the market, which largely contributes to the growth of the Neuro-Gaming Technology Market.
- The increased adoption of video streaming apps on mobile devices and television to watch movies, TV shows, and live events, on-demand, has aided the Gaming industry in the country. As per ESA 2019 study, more than 164 million adults in the US play video games and three-quarters of all Americans have one gamer in their household.
- The continuous growth of the gaming industry is further driving the growth of the neuro-gaming technology market in the region. Increasing awareness among users and the rise in the adoption of advanced gaming technologies is expected to create new growth opportunities for the players in the neuro-gaming technology market in the region during the forecast period.
- Further, the market is expected to be spurred with the ability of the technology to integrate real-time brain monitoring with an aim to engage and entertain users while maximizing learning efficiency, particularly in children with disorders. The number of children suffering with disorders in the U.S. is on the rise. Neuro-gaming technology is capable of solving these issues and limit any further transition to more significant problems later in life.
- For instance, according to the estimates of The U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in every seven children (aged two to eight) are suffering from mental, behavioral, or developmental disorder. They also estimated that one in every five children (aged 13 to 18) could experience a severe mental disorder at some point in their lives.
- Also, in January 2020, the University professors from New York and California developed three games aimed at helping the users to boost their memory, inhibition, and cognitive flexibility. The development of these games were funded by the U.S. Department of Education's Institute of Education Sciences (4-year research project).
- Additionally, Canada's gaming enterprises, technologies, and products are witnessing an increasing demand. The expansion of the Canadian gaming industry has been driven by multiple key factors such as technological innovations, consumer preferences for new products, shifts in public perception, and innovations. This has also attracted interest from international companies wanting to make a strong foothold in Canada.
- Further, the growth of virtual reality, augmented reality, and haptic sensation systems that aid the neuro-gaming technology ensure the growth of the market in the region. For instance, in November 2019, Red Six Aerospace, Inc. developed an AR platform to train the U.S. military aviators in air-to-air combat. Such innovations therefore provide significant scope for the market over the forecast period.
The Neuro-Gaming Technology Market is moderately competitive owing to the presence of multiple players. The players in the market are adopting strategies like product innovation, mergers, and acquisitions in order to expand their product portfolio and expand their geographic reach and primarily to stay competitive in the market. Some of the vendors in the market are Emotiv Inc., iMotions A/S, Qneuro Inc. among others.
- Apr 2020 - Emotiv announced the beta version of its Cortex apps for iOS and Android. The bundle consists of the Cortex service and Emotiv App, which currently supports most of the APIs, and works with all of the existing Emotiv Brainwear over Bluetooth connection, and is even able to sync with the cloud on Wi-fi only.
- May 2019 - Ultrahaptics and Leap Motion, prominent vendors in the mid-air haptics, hand tracking technologies, and contactless interfaces announced a strategic partnership that will aim to combine their expertise and create a leading spatial interaction company.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Stakeholder Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
4.5 Games/Apps Landscape for Children with Neuro disabilities
4.5.1 Analysis on impact of games on Children with neuro disporders such as ADHD, ASD etc
4.5.2 Training Programs and games reviewed and suggested for kids by Research Organizations and Healthcare Institutions
4.5.3 List of game developers such as Monte Cristo, that have developed games like Dino Island specifically designed to improve attention, working memory, and executive function in children with neurodevelopmental disabilities (Business Overview, Game Type, Popularity, etc.
4.5.4 Overview of Educational and Serious Game Developers etc.
5.1.1 Rising Development of Brain Computer Interfaces (BCIs)
5.1.2 Increasing Adoption of Smart Devices 5.2 Market Restraints
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Lack of Awareness and Limited Actions Included in the Games
6.2 By End-user
6.2.4 Other End-users
6.3.1 North America
6.3.4 Rest of the World
7.1.1 Emotiv Inc.
7.1.2 iMotions A/S
7.1.3 Qneuro Inc.
7.1.4 Ultraleap Ltd.
7.1.7 Neuro-gaming Technology Ltd.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Emotiv Inc.
- iMotions A/S
- Qneuro Inc.
- Ultraleap Ltd.
- Neuro-gaming Technology Ltd.