2020 National Instructional Materials Adoption Scorecard and 2021 Outlook provide a singular look at sales by subject and publisher in particular states - those states classified as adoption states, which conduct statewide reviews and purchasing processes for instructional materials.
This report includes individual analyses of the Texas 9-12 English language arts adoption results, as well as significant sales results from individual districts in the K-8 social studies and science adoptions in California, 6-12 world languages and CTE sales in Florida and English language arts in North Carolina.
The onslaught of the COVID-19 pandemic coincided with the beginning of the active decision-making season in school districts. While the pandemic disrupted the adoption process--particularly fulfillment--it did not crash it.
While adoptions in reading and math continue to be the largest revenue generators, seasons like 2020 with statewide adoptions in world languages and career and technical education courses provide opportunities for a broader array of publishers.
As 2021 gets underway, school districts gearing up for a new round of instructional materials adoptions. Among the leading opportunities is English language arts with a significant adoption in Florida (K-12), bolstered by opportunities in Mississippi and West Virginia and high school ELA in New Mexico.
The 2020 National Instructional Materials Adoption Scorecard and 2021 Outlook provides valuable insight into:
- the process of state textbooks adoptions
- the factors that influence sales in the school districts
- outcomes by publishers
- the broadening of the field of participants in adoptions
- upcoming opportunities through 2024
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
3. Introduction and Trends
- Guaranteed Demand
- 18 States Form Core of Instructional Materials Adoptions
- Table Instructional Materials Adoption States
- Adoption Cycles
4. 2020 State Adoption Results
- Texas 9-12 ELA Adoption
- Table Texas 9-12 English Language Arts Adoption Sales, 2020
- California Schools Pick Social Studies and Science Programs
- LA Science Order Share by Grade
- Table Selected California District Adoption Sales, 2020
- World Languages and CTE in Florida
- Table Selected Florida District Adoption Sales, 2020
- North Carolina Offered K-12 English Language Arts
- Table North Carolina K-12 English Language Arts Adoption Sales, 2020
- Takeaways from 2020 Adoptions
5. Looking Ahead-2021 and Beyond
- Florida to Adopt English Language Arts
- Table Florida 2020-2021 K-12 English Language Arts Adoption Bid List
- Texas Updates PreK Systems in 2021
- Table Approved Titles in Texas Proclamation 2021 Pre-K Adoption
- Virginia Approves Science Core Curriculum Programs
- Table Virginia Approved Science Titles for K-12 Adoption
- Tennessee Launches Reading 360 Initiative
- Alabama Launches a K-12 Math Adoption
- Supplemental Resources
- Coming Adoption Activity
- Table State K-12 Instructional Materials Adoption Schedule, Purchase Years 2020-2023