In the rapidly evolving world of industrial organic synthesis, vinyl acetate monomer has emerged as a vital component. Its comprehensive use in the production of various polymers such as polyvinyl alcohol, polyvinyl acetate, ethylene vinyl acetate, and ethylene vinyl alcohol, which have widespread applications in packing, construction, textiles, and cosmetics industries, have significantly contributed to its soaring demand. This key building block serves crucial properties like adhesion, optical clarity, and fiber forming, making it indispensable in multiple domains.
The burgeoning packaging and construction sectors alongside a flux of demands from other end-use industries have propelled the vinyl acetate monomer market's growth. Furthermore, the escalating necessity of adhesive from the construction industry acts as another potent factor that stimulates the demand surge. The comprehensive market research report lays bare the supply-demand scenario, ongoing market trends, industrial applications, and regional profiling while painting a detailed picture of the market's future trajectory. The unprecedented insights can empower leading players and stakeholders make strategic decisions grounded on data-driven forecasting and future market prospects.
H1 2023: During H1 2023, major producers of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) were Celanese Corporation, Dairen Chemical Corp., and Sinopec Sichaun Vinylon works. In January 2023, Asian Paints Limited chosen KBR's exclusive Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) technology for a small-scale manufacturing facility in India. A 100 thousand tonnes per annum VAM facility will use the technology licensing, fundamental engineering, specialised equipment, and catalyst, by KBR under the conditions of the contract. In collaboration with the Japanese company Showa Denko K.K., KBR offers its VAM technology to Asian Paints. Based on region, Asia Pacific was leading in terms of consumption of VAM, In the beginning of 2023, VAM prices in the Asia Pacific region showed an upward trend. The VAM market in China saw growth of market from the beginning of 2023 as the demand for the product surged as a result of an increase in purchases from downstream sectors like paints & coatings. Participants in the market refilled the inventory after the Lunar New Year holiday which led to hike in prices. Additionally, prices for acetic acid and ethylene boosted the VAM market in China. Although, there was a drop in price in March 2023 as a result of a slowdown in purchasing activity from Asian and European nations due to weaker demand from their downstream paint and coatings industries.
Global Vinyl Acetate Monomer Demand is Projected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of 5.75%.
- H1 2022: During H1 2022, the total production of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) had reached 3.2 million tonnes. The key producers of Vinyl Acetate Monomer were Dairen Chemical Corp., Celanese, and Sinopec Sichaun Vinylon works. In H1 2022, Dairen Chemical Corp. solely produced approximately 20% of the VAM market. Based on region, Asia Pacific was leading in terms of consumption followed by North America and Europe. Asia Pacific region consumed roughly 60% of the VAM in H1 2022. The Asian market was first bearish, especially in China. Due to excess supply materials and weakening demand in the Chinese regional market, the prices of ethylene and acetic acid were also lowered. This trend was caused by weak market emotions and an adequate supply of the commodity. Acetic acid feedstock prices fell majorly as the surplus faced the worst. But soon, the market gained some momentum. The rising cost of raw materials as a result of rising oil prices impeded the growth of the adhesive and sealant sector. Additionally, there was high expansion of the EVA market with the growth in the use of photovoltaic cells in solar power generation that further led to market growth in H1 2022. Thus, the market trend was definitely interesting during H1 2022.
- H2 2022: In H2 2022, Asian Paints, one of the leading paint manufacturers of India, signed a contract with KBR for manufacturing VAM and VAE in India. Asian Paints elaborated that it would establish a Vinyl Acetate Ethylene Emulsion (VAE) and Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) manufacturing facility in Dahej, Gujarat, India. The construction of the VAM manufacturing facility would be based on a licenced technology agreement with KBR, USA. This project costs around USD 255 million (INR 21 billion) along with an annual production capacity of 100 thousand tonnes per annum of VAM and 150 thousand tonnes of VAE. Based on consumption, Asia Pacific still consumed the majority of VAM. However, the market remained sluggish in H2 2022 across Asian market. Owing to the low consumption rates and limited inquiries, the buying sentiment in the market was not so lucrative. Due to the typhoon damage to the ports of South Korea and western Japan in Northeast Asia hampered port operations during the month of September. Reduced port movements increased transit times and reported delays in shipments, had an effect on supply dynamics as well as port activities. Additionally, the cost pressure on downstream Vinyl Acetate Monomer was mediocre due to the continued stagnancy in feedstock pricing, i.e., acetic acid prices.
Vinyl Acetate Monomer is a colorless organic monomer. It is produced by the acetylation of ethylene with acetic acid and oxygen. It finds application in the manufacturing numerous chemicals including polyvinyl alcohol, polyvinyl acetate, ethylene vinyl acetate, ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH). Out of these, the polyvinyl acetate segment holds the highest share of global demand for Vinyl Acetate Monomer. EVOH is a barrier resin used in food containers, plastic water bottles, fuel tanks, and thermoplastic elastomers, is one of the applications of VAM that is on the upswing. Vinyl Acetate Monomer has several properties like adhesion, optical clarity, fiber forming, etc. Due to these properties, it has several end-use industries including packaging, construction, textile, and cosmetics. Polyvinyl acetate (PVAc) and polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH) are primarily made using vinyl acetate monomer. Paints, adhesives, paper coatings, and textile procedures all use polyvinyl acetate, whereas polyvinyl alcohol is used to make adhesives, coatings, water-soluble packaging, and textile warp sizing. Polyvinyl butyral (PVB), is also made using VAM, which is used in laminated safety glass for cars and buildings. Ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) resin, which is produced from VAM, is employed for the production of packaging film, heavy-duty bags, extrusion coating, wire and cable jacketing, hot-melt adhesives, and cross-linked foam. Furthermore, EVA Resin possess crack and puncture resistance, is frequently copolymerized with LDPE and LLDPE to increase the copolymer's flexibility and low temperature performance. VAM is prominently used for manufacturing ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH), a barrier resin used in food packaging, plastic bottles, petrol tanks and industrial plastics.
VAM is a vital component of the emulsion polymers, resins, and intermediates that are used in paints, textiles, wire and cable polyethylene (PE) compounds, laminated safety glass, and packaging materials. EVOH and EVA resins are used in food packaging to help keep food fresh by preventing the penetration of gas, vapour, or liquid. Increasing demand for resins, adhesives, and construction materials coupled with fast-paced industrialization is projected to drive the demand for Vinyl Acetate Monomer during the forecast period. Moreover, the with the rise in the demand from other end-use industries such as textile and cosmetics is also a factor propelling the demand for Vinyl Acetate Monomer. The global Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market will swell to reach approximately 10 million tonnes by 2032.
Based on region, Asia Pacific is dominating the global Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market all across the globe. In 2022, this region has consumed roughly 64% of the global VAM market. The reason behind the demand of VAM is mainly due to the construction and packaging purpose. Moreover, the increasing population and per capita income in emerging economies like India and China coupled with the growing number of industries using Vinyl Acetate Monomer is another factor influencing demand growth in the Asia Pacific region. Although, the USA is the leading producer of Vinyl Acetate Monomer with major players like Dow Chemical and Celanese located in this region.
Based on the end-user industry, the Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market is bifurcated into Packaging, Construction, Textile, Adhesives & Sealants, Paints & Coatings, and Others. Although, Adhesives & Sealants industry is leading industry and accounted approximately 28% of the market share of net Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) demand in 2022. This industry is expected to maintain its dominance over the global Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market in the forthcoming years.
Major players in the global Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market are Dairen Chemical Corp., Celanese, Sinopec Sichaun Vinylon Works, Sinopec Greatwall Energy, INEOS Group, LyondellBasell Industries, Millenium Petorchemicals, Dow Chemicals, DuPont, Sipchem IVC, Wacker-Chemei, Showa Denko, and Others.
Years considered for this report:
- Historical Period: 2015- 2022
- Base Year: 2022
- Estimated Year: 2023
- Forecast Period: 2024-2032
The objective of the Study:
- To assess the demand-supply scenario of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM), which covers the production, demand, and supply of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) around the globe.
- To analyze and forecast the market size of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM).
- To classify and forecast the Global Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market based on end-use and regional distribution.
- To examine global competitive developments such as new capacity expansions, mergers & acquisitions, etc., of the Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market.
The publisher calculated Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) demand in the globe by analyzing the historical data and demand forecast which was carried out considering the historical extraction and supply and demand of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) across the globe. The publisher sourced these values from industry experts, and company representatives and externally validated through analyzing historical sales data of respective manufacturers to arrive at the overall market size. Various secondary sources such as company websites, association reports, annual reports, etc., were also studied by the publisher.
Key Target Audience:
- Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) manufacturers and other stakeholders
- Organizations, forums and alliances related to Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) distribution
- Government bodies such as regulating authorities and policy makers
- Market research organizations and consulting companies
Report Scope:In this report, Global Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market has been segmented into following categories, in addition to the industry trends which have also been detailed below:
- Market size Volume in 2022 - 6.6 million tonnes
- Market size Volume by 2032 - 10 million tonnes
- Growth Rate - CAGR of 4.41% from 2023 to 2032
- Base year for estimation - 2023
- Historic Data - 2015 - 2022
- Forecast period - 2024 - 2032
- Quantitative units - Demand in thousand tonnes and CAGR from 2023 to 2032
Report coverageIndustry Market Size, Capacity by Company, Capacity by Location, Production by Company, Demand by End- Use, Demand by Region, Demand by Sales Channel, Demand-Supply Gap, Company Share, Foreign Trade, Manufacturing Process, Policy and Regulatory Landscape.
- By End-Use: (Packaging, Construction, Textile, Adhesives & Sealants, Paints & Coatings, and Others)
- By Sales Channel: (Direct Sale and Indirect Sale)
Regional scopeNorth America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and South America.
Available CustomisationsWith the given market data, the publisher offers customizations according to a company’s specific needs.
Table of Contents
- It is an essential metric for market analysis, as it provides insights into the overall size and growth potential of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market in terms of value and volume.
- On our online platform, you can stay up to date with essential manufacturers and their current and future operation capacity on a practically real-time basis for Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM).
- To better understand the regional supply of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) by analyzing its manufacturers' location-based capacity.
- To determine what percentage manufacturers are operating their plants or how much capacity is being currently used.
- Study the historical annual production of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) by the leading players and forecast how it will grow in the coming years.
- Discover which end-user industry (Packaging, Construction, Textile, Adhesives & Sealants, Paints & Coatings, and Others) are creating a market and the forecast for the growth of the Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) market.
- Analyzing the change in demand of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) in different regions, i.e., North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and South America, that can direct you in mapping the regional demand.
- Multiple channels are used to sell Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM). Our sales channel will help in analyzing whether distributors and dealers or direct sales make up most of the industry's sales.
- Determine the supply-demand gap to gain information about the trade surplus or deficiency of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM).
- Figure out what proportion of the market share of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) is currently held by leading players across the globe.
- Get details about quantity of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) exported by major countries.
- Get details about quantity of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM) imported by major countries.
- Discover insights into the intricate manufacturing process of Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM).
- To evaluate the demand of various methods and their capacities while looking for the future growth of each process.
- To better assess the manufacturing capacities with different technologies as well as understand which technology is more in demand.
- Analyze historical prices since 2015 & Forecast on three months rolling period for next 12 months.