Online Microtransaction Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Impact and Recovery to 2030 provides strategists, marketers and senior management with the critical information they need to assess the global online microtransaction market as it emerges from the COVID-19 shut down.
Reasons to Purchase
- Gain a truly global perspective with the most comprehensive report available on this market covering 12+ geographies.
- Understand how the market is experiencing rapid growth due to the coronavirus and how it is likely to stabilize as the impact of the virus abates.
- Create regional and country strategies on the basis of local data and analysis.
- Identify growth segments for investment.
- Outperform competitors using forecast data and the drivers and trends shaping the market.
- Understand customers based on the latest market research findings.
- Benchmark performance against key competitors.
- Utilize the relationships between key data sets for superior strategizing.
- Suitable for supporting your internal and external presentations with reliable high quality data and analysis
- The report will be updated with the latest data and delivered to you within 3-5 working days of order.
Where is the largest and fastest growing market for online microtransactions? How does the market relate to the overall economy, demography and other similar markets? What forces will shape the market going forward? The Online Microtransaction market global report answers all these questions and many more.
The report covers market characteristics, size and growth, segmentation, regional and country breakdowns, competitive landscape, market shares, trends and strategies for this market. It traces the market’s historic and forecast market growth by geography. It places the market within the context of the wider online microtransaction market, and compares it with other markets.
- The market characteristics section of the report defines and explains the market.
- The market size section gives the market size ($b) covering both the historic growth of the market, the impact of the COVID-19 virus and forecasting its recovery.
- Market segmentations break down market into sub markets.
- The regional and country breakdowns section gives an analysis of the market in each geography and the size of the market by geography and compares their historic and forecast growth. It covers the impact and recovery trajectory of COVID-19 for all regions, key developed countries and major emerging markets.
- Competitive landscape gives a description of the competitive nature of the market, market shares, and a description of the leading companies. Key financial deals which have shaped the market in recent years are identified.
- The trends and strategies section analyses the shape of the market as it emerges from the crisis and suggests how companies can grow as the market recovers.
- The online microtransaction market section of the report gives context. It compares the online microtransaction market with other segments of the online microtransaction market by size and growth, historic and forecast. It analyses GDP proportion, expenditure per capita, online microtransaction indicators comparison.
1) By Type: In-Game Currencies; Random Chance Purchases; In-Game Items; Expiration 2) By Device: Mobile; Console; PC 3) By Model: Prepay Model; Postpay Model; Others
Companies Mentioned: SmileGate (CrossFire); Riot Games, Inc.; Nexon Co., Ltd.; Wargaming.net; NCSoft
Countries: Australia; Brazil; China; France; Germany; India; Indonesia; Japan; Russia; South Korea; UK; USA
Regions: Asia-Pacific; Western Europe; Eastern Europe; North America; South America; Middle East; Africa
Time series: Five years historic and ten years forecast.
Data: Ratios of market size and growth to related markets, GDP proportions, expenditure per capita.
Data segmentations: country and regional historic and forecast data, market share of competitors, market segments.
Sourcing and Referencing: Data and analysis throughout the report is sourced using end notes.
What is the estimated value of the Global Online Microtransaction Market?
What is the growth rate of the Global Online Microtransaction Market?
What is the forecasted size of the Global Online Microtransaction Market?
Who are the key companies in the Global Online Microtransaction Market?
|Forecast Period||2021 - 2025|
| Estimated Market Value ( USD ||$ 34.59 billion|
| Forecasted Market Value ( USD ||$ 51.09 billion|
|Compound Annual Growth Rate||10.2%|
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary2. Online Microtransaction Market Characteristics3. Online Microtransaction Market Trends and Strategies4. Impact of COVID-19 on Online Microtransaction
5.1.1. Drivers of the Market
5.1.2. Restraints on the Market
5.2. Global Online Microtransaction Forecast Market, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
5.2.1. Drivers of the Market
5.2.2. Restraints on the Market
- In-Game Currencies
- Random Chance Purchases
- In-Game Items
6.2. Global Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Device, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
6.3. Global Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Model, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
- Prepay Model
- Postpay Model
7.2. Global Online Microtransaction Market, Split by Country, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
- Region Information, Impact of COVID-19, Market Information, Background Information, Government Initiatives, Regulations, Regulatory Bodies, Major Associations, Taxes Levied, Corporate Tax Structure, Investments, Major Companies
8.2. Asia-Pacific Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
9.2. China Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F,$ Billion
15.2. Western Europe Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
19.2. Eastern Europe Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
21.2. North America Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
22.2. USA Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
23.2. South America Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
25.2. Middle East Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
26.2. Africa Online Microtransaction Market, Segmentation by Type, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
27.2. Online Microtransaction Market Company Profiles
27.2.1. SmileGate (CrossFire)
184.108.40.206. Products and Services
220.127.116.11. Financial Performance
27.2.2. Riot Games, Inc.
18.104.22.168. Products and Services
22.214.171.124. Financial Performance
27.2.3. Nexon Co., Ltd.
126.96.36.199. Products and Services
188.8.131.52. Financial Performance
184.108.40.206. Products and Services
220.127.116.11. Financial Performance
18.104.22.168. Products and Services
22.214.171.124. Financial Performance
30.3. Research Inquiries
30.4. About the Publisher
30.5. Copyright and Disclaimer
Major players in the online microtransaction market are SmileGate (CrossFire), Riot Games, Inc., Nexon Co., Ltd., Wargaming.net, NCSoft, Activision Blizzard Inc., Electronic Arts Inc., Valve Corporation, Tencent Holdings Ltd. and NetEase Inc.
The global online microtransaction market is expected to grow from $33.4 billion in 2020 to $34.59 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.6%. The growth is mainly due to the companies rearranging their operations and recovering from the COVID-19 impact, which had earlier led to restrictive containment measures involving social distancing, remote working, and the closure of commercial activities that resulted in operational challenges. The market is expected to reach $51.09 billion in 2025 at a CAGR of 10%.
The online microtransaction market consists of sales of in-game virtual goods and its related services. Microtransactions are in-game purchases of virtual items for small amounts of money. These often appear in free-to-play games that do not have any cost for downloading the game and only include the online cost for virtual goods. Microtransactions are done to unlock specific features or enhance the special abilities, content or character in a game.
The expansion of the gaming industry is to act as a major driver for the development of the online microtransaction market. Online microtransaction uses real money to gain access to currency in-game or virtual items, which improves the gaming experience of the player. According to Ernst & Young Global Limited’s report published in 2019, the global games market was valued at $ 139.0 billion in 2018 and is expected to reach $ 196.0 billion by the end of 2022, growing at a CAGR of 10.0% during the period. Moreover, according to ResearchGate’s conference paper published in December 2019 on the analysis of the microtransaction in the game market, the value of the video gaming industry has increased substantially over the last two decades. The video gaming industry generated revenues of $ 152.1 billion in 2019 and is anticipated to grow over the forthcoming years. Therefore, the growth of the gaming and video gaming industry is expected to propel the revenues for online microtransaction market in the near future.
The online microtransaction market covered in this report is segmented by type into in-game currencies, random chance purchases, in-game items, expiration and by device into mobile, console, PC.
The companies adopting new loot box policies in order to adhere to the guidelines of the U.S. game industry trade group, the Entertainment Software Association is a major trend in the online microtransaction market. In August 2019, the organization announced that multiple game developers and publishers will adopt disclosure of information policies for the loot boxes. Companies such as Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony are planning to have new policies by the end of 2020. Consequently, the players aiming to adopt new disclosure policies of a loot box is the latest trend shaping the growth of the online microtransactions market.
Stringent regulations imposed on the microtransactions are projected to limit the market growth during the period. According to NPR’s news published in November 2019, China introduced restrictions on video games and online microtransactions for minors. Chinese officials limited the online microtransactions value at $ 28 or $ 57 depending on the age of the minor. These restrictions imposed is likely to reduce the number of transactions done by a minor, thus, reducing the revenues for microtransactions market from the minor group. Therefore, stringent regulations imposed by the government on setting the limit of transactions is to have an adverse effect on the growth of online microtransactions market over the forecast period.
In April 2020, Riot Games, an American video game developer, publisher, and esports tournament organizer acquired Hypixel Studios Inc. for an undisclosed amount. This acquisition represents the expansion of a long-standing relationship, with Hypixel Studios gaining access to Riot Games’ experience in developing and publishing acclaimed, player-focused games. Hypixel Studios Inc., a Canada based Computer game developer.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- SmileGate (CrossFire)
- Riot Games, Inc.
- Nexon Co., Ltd.
- Activision Blizzard Inc.
- Electronic Arts Inc.
- Valve Corporation
- Tencent Holdings Ltd.
- NetEase Inc.
- Microsoft Corp.
- GungHo Online Entertainment Inc.
- CyberAgent Inc.
- The Walt Disney Co.
- Ubisoft Entertainment.
- Niantic Inc.
- Take-Two Interactive