Virtual care plays an essential role in solving the problems of modern healthcare. The necessary remote appointments and home care of the COVID pandemic have driven use of virtual care to new heights, but it’s real promise goes far beyond these uses. When seen as part of a system of distributed healthcare, virtual care can play a vital role in the long-term care relationships that occupy most of the modern healthcare system.
This research report looks at the rapidly growing market opportunity, which at a CAGR of >20% is projected to reach in excess of $20 billion USD by 2027. The report segments growth in the four leading markets for VCM: commercial payers, self-insured employers, health systems, and independent ambulatory practices.
The work looks closely at a broad cross-section of vendors that are leading the VCM charge, ranging from incumbent EHR and population health vendors to best-of breed solution providers. The research also discusses the most significant trends in technology, reimbursement and regulation, and how those will impact adoption and implementation of these offerings over the coming years.
Each type of solution (EHR, PHM, Best of Breed) is evaluated based on how they address the needs of providers and patients. The report reviews the current state of the market, the maturity of solutions, and the strengths and weaknesses of each solution type. Each vendor profiled is evaluated on 17 metrics – twelve (12) for specific product functionality and five (5) for market execution.
This report also introduces the new Flagship Vendor category, which recognizes solutions that excel in each of the aggregated capability categories. For this report, those vendors are (Vendor – Category, presented alphabetically):
- Amwell – Omnichannel Functionality
- Innovaccer – Enrollment and Assignment
- Epic – Reporting and Analytics
- Neuroflow – Care Management
- Teladoc – Patient Engagement
Table of Contents
- Key TakeawaysDefining Virtual and Omnichannel Care
- Components of VCM
- The Need for Omnichannel Care ManagementCommon BuyersEvolution in Care Management StrategiesObstacles and ChallengesIndustry Context
- The Growing Role of Medicare Advantage
- Remote Patient Monitoring vs Device Integration
- Behavioral Health is Essential
- Transparency and Bias In AI
- Driving Long-Term Use
- COVID-19: What Lasts and What Expires?
- EHR Vendors
- Population Health Vendors
- Virtual Care Best of Breed
- Market ForecastProduct and Market Categories and Descriptions
- Product Categories
- Product Ratings
- Market Categories
- Market Ratings
- Amwell, athenahealth, Bright.MD, Cerner, doxy.me, Epic, Gyant, Health Catalyst, Innovaccer, Neuroflow, NextGen, Persivia, Philips, SilverCloud, SymphonyRM, Teladoc
- Appendix A: Methodology
- About the Author
- Health Catalyst