This report provides the strategists, marketers and senior management with the critical information they need to assess the global OOC market as it emerges from the COVID-19 shut down.
Reasons to Purchase
- Gain a truly global perspective with the most comprehensive report available on this market covering 12 geographies.
- Understand how the market is being affected by the coronavirus and how it is likely to emerge and grow as the impact of the virus abates.
- Create regional and country strategies on the basis of local data and analysis.
- Identify growth segments for investment.
- Outperform competitors using forecast data and the drivers and trends shaping the market.
- Understand customers based on the latest market research findings.
- Benchmark performance against key competitors.
- Utilize the relationships between key data sets for superior strategizing.
- Suitable for supporting your internal and external presentations with reliable high-quality data and analysis
Where is the largest and fastest growing market for the OOC? How does the market relate to the overall economy, demography and other similar markets? What forces will shape the market going forward? The OOC market global report from the publisher answers all these questions and many more.
The report covers market characteristics, size and growth, segmentation, regional and country breakdowns, competitive landscape, market shares, trends and strategies for this market. It traces the market’s historic and forecast market growth by geography. It places the market within the context of the wider OOC market, and compares it with other markets.
The report covers the following chapters:
- Executive Summary - The executive summary section of the report gives a brief overview and summary of the report
- Report Structure - This section gives the structure of the report and the information covered in the various sections.
- Introduction - This section gives a general overview of OOCs and explains their importance especially in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Market Characteristics - The market characteristics section of the report gives an overview on the basic structure of an OOC and information on various techniques used for manufacturing these chips. Details about various organ specific models are also provided.
- Product Analysis - The product analysis section of the report gives a general overview on organs-on-chips (OOCs) and information on designs and techniques used for manufacturing these devices. Details about various organ-specific models are also provided.
- Supply Chain - The supply chain section of the report defines and explains the key players in the OOC industry supply chain.
- Overview Of Organ-Specific Models - This section covers organ-specific models in the OOC market. Design and approach of some OOC prototypes are also covered.
- Trends And Strategies - This section describes the major trends shaping the global organs-on-chip market. This section highlights likely future developments in the market and suggests approaches companies can take to exploit these opportunities.
- Impact of COVID-19 - This section describes the impact of COVID-19 on the organs-on-chips market.Collaborations, Partnerships And Agreements - This section provides the latest collaborations, partnerships and agreements between players in the OOC market.
- Recent Developments/Research - This section provides major developments/researches in the OOC market.
- Organ-On-Chip Porter’s Five Forces Analysis - This section provides the five forces analysis model for the OOC market, which gives an insight into the attractiveness of the industry for investment.
- Organ-On-Chip Unmet Needs - This section lists the research and development needs that need to be accounted in the further production and development of OOCs.
- Global Market Size And Growth - This section contains the global historic (2015-2020) and forecast (2020-2025) market values, and drivers and restraints that support and control the growth of the market in the historic and forecast periods.
- Regional Analysis - This section contains the historic (2015-2020) and forecast (2020-2025), and (2025-2030) market values and growth and market share comparison by region.
- Segmentation - This section contains the market values (2015-2030) and analysis for different segments.
- Competitive Landscape - This section covers details on the competitive landscape of the global OOC market, estimated market shares and company profiles for the leading players.
- Key Mergers And Acquisitions - This section gives the information on recent mergers and acquisitions in the market covered in the report. This section gives key financial details of mergers and acquisitions which have shaped the market in recent years.
- Funding Landscape - This section provides information on the funds granted by government institutes or other organizations to either universities or companies for the developed of OOCs.
- Market Opportunities And Strategies - This section includes market opportunities and strategies based on findings of the research. This section also gives information on growth opportunities across countries, segments and strategies to be followed in those markets. It gives an understanding of where there is significant business to be gained by competitors in the next five years.
- Conclusions And Recommendations - This section includes conclusions and recommendations based on findings of the research. This section also gives recommendations that can help providers to improve or stabilize their position and extend their reach in the OOC market.
- Appendix - This section includes details on the NAICS codes covered, abbreviations and currencies codes used in this report.
- By Organ Type: Lung-On-Chip; Heart-On-Chip; Liver-On-Chip; Intestine-On-Chip; Kidney-On-Chip; Skin-On-Chip; Blood-Brain-Barrier-On-Chip; Other Organ Models
- By Application: Toxicology Research; Drug Discovery; Molecular Biology; Disease Modelling; Food Safety; Other Applications
- By End-User: Biopharmaceutical companies; Academics; Food & Beverages; Other Commercial Industries
- By Products and Services: Devices; Testing Services
- By Type Of Material: Polymer; PDMS; Glass; Silicon
Emulate Inc.; Mimetas BV; AxoSim Inc.; Nortis Inc.; TissUse GmbH
Number of Enterprises; Number of Employees
Asia; North America; Europe
Five years historic and ten years forecast.
Ratios of market size and growth to related markets, GDP proportions, expenditure per capita, OOC indicators comparison.
country and regional historic and forecast data, market share of competitors, market segments.
Sourcing and Referencing:
Data and analysis throughout the report is sourced using end notes.
What is the estimated value of the Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market?
What is the growth rate of the Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market?
What is the forecasted size of the Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market?
Who are the key companies in the Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market?
|No. of Pages||143|
|Forecast Period||2015 - 2030|
| Estimated Market Value ( USD
||USD 4.9 Million|
| Forecasted Market Value ( USD
||USD 350.8 Million|
|Compound Annual Growth Rate||32.9%|
Table of Contents
6.2. Segmentation By Organ
6.3. Segmentation By Application
6.4. Segmentation By End-User
6.5. Segmentation By Products & Services
6.6. Segmentation By Type Of Material
7.2. Market Segmentation By Organ Type
7.2.8. Other Organ Models
7.3. Market Segmentation By Application
7.3.1. Toxicology Research
7.3.2. Drug Discovery
7.3.3. Molecular Biology
7.3.4. Disease Modelling
7.3.5. Food Safety
7.3.6. Other Applications
7.4. Market Segmentation By End User
7.4.1. Biopharmaceutical companies
7.4.3. Food & Beverages
7.4.4. Other Commercial Industries
7.5. Market Segmentation By Products & Services
7.5.2. Testing Services
7.6. Market Segmentation By Type Of Material
7.7. Organs-On-Chips Origin And Significance
7.8. Organ-On-Chip Features
7.9. OOC Applications
7.9.1. Applications Of OOCs In The Healthcare Industry
7.9.2. Other Applications Of OOCs
8.1.2. Microfluidic Chip and Biosensors
8.1.3. 3D Cell Culture
8.1.4. Gas & Liquid Perfusion
8.2. Organ-On-Chip Market - Business Models
8.2.1. Academic Universities/Institutes
8.2.3. OOC Development Companies
8.2.4. Commercial Industries/End-Users
8.2.5. Research Organizations
8.2.6. OOC Pricing
9.1.2. Typical Organ-On-Chip Structure
9.1.3. Product Design Materials
9.1.4. Product Design Methodologies
9.2. OOC Products In The Market
9.2.1. New Product Launches
9.2.2. Products In The Pipeline
12.2. Developments In The Testing Of Human Organs-On-Chips
12.3. Organ-On-Chip Technology In Space
12.4. Automated Monitoring Of Organs-On-Chips
12.5. Artificial Intelligence Integrated With Organs-On-Chip
12.6. 3D Printing Of Organs-On Chips
12.7. Investment In Integration Of Individual Organs-On-Chips Into Humans-On-Chips
12.8. Integration Of Various Technology On The Same Chip
12.9. Strong Focus On Development Of Custom Organs-On-Chips
12.10. Manufacturers Work On Disease Models To Expedite Drug Testing
12.11. Rise In The Collaborations Between Organs-On-Chips Manufacturers And Pharmaceutical Companies
12.12. Increase In Funding To Develop The Organ-On-Chip Platform
12.13. Increase In Collaborations And Strategic Partnerships
15.6. Human Spinal Cords On A Chip
15.7. Biosensors In Organ-On-A-Chip
15.9. OOCs For Hepatitis B Virus Testing
15.14. Development Of Chip Technology Through Partnerships And Acquisitions
15.15. Growth In Research Grants
17.2. Ease Of Use And Automation
17.3. Resistance To New Technology
17.4. Lack Of Personalized Understanding Of Diseases
17.5. Organ Specific Needs
17.6. OOC Patents and Publications
18.2. Organ-on-Chip Technology For COVID-19 Drug Development
18.3.Impact On Major Companies
18.4. Future Outlook
19.2. Historic Market Growth, 2015 - 2020, Value ($ Million)
19.3.Forecast Market Growth, 2020 - 2025, 2030F, Value ($ Million)
20.1.1. Increasing Demand For Personalized Medicine
20.1.2. Improved Monitoring
20.1.3. Growing Need To Minimize Financial Losses Due To Late Stage Drug Failure
20.1.4. Substantial Funding Of Public And Private Sources For OOC Start-Ups And Research Groups
20.1.5. Increasing Drug Repurposing Approaches
20.1.6. Adoption Of OOC Technology By Major Pharmaceutical Companies
20.1.7. Early Detection Of Drug Toxicity And Recovery
20.1.8. Rising Healthcare Expenditure
20.2. Market Restraints
20.2.1. High-Costs Associated With OOCs
20.2.2. COVID-19 Pandemic
20.2.3. Compatibility Problems May Occur Due To The Lack Of Standardization
20.2.4. Limitations Of Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), The Most Commonly Used Substrate Material For The Fabrication Of OOCs
20.2.5. Resistance In The Adoption And Regulation Of New Medical Options
20.2.6. Need For Skilled Resources For The Development Of OOC Technology
20.2.7. OOCs Are Not High Throughput To Conduct Multiple Assays
20.2.8. Cell Survivability Issues Can Negatively Impact The Market Growth
20.2.9. Complication Or Increased Difficulty In Accessing Certain Organs
21.2. Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, 2015 - 2025, Historic And Forecast, By Region
21.3. Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, 2020 - 2025, Growth And Market Share Comparison, By Region
22.1.8. Blood-Brain Barrier (BBB)-On-Chip
22.2. Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, Segmentation By Application, Historic And Forecast, 2015 - 2020, 2025F, 2030F, Value ($ Million)
22.2.1. Toxicology Research
22.2.2. Drug Discovery
22.2.3. Disease Modelling
22.2.4. Molecular Biology
22.2.5. Food Safety
22.2.6. Other Applications
22.3. Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, Segmentation By End-User, Historic And Forecast, 2015 - 2020, 2025F, 2030F, Value ($ Million)
22.3.1. Biopharmaceutical Companies
22.3.3. Other Commercial Industries
22.3.4. Food & Beverages
22.4. Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, Segmentation By Products & Services, Historic And Forecast, 2015 - 2020, 2025F, 2030F, Value ($ Million)
22.5. Global Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, Segmentation By Type Of Material, Historic And Forecast, 2015 - 2020, 2025F, 2030F, Volume (Kilo Units)
22.5.5. Total market
23.2. Per Capita Average Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market Expenditure, Global
24.2. Asia Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, Forecast Market Growth, 2020 - 2025, 2030F, Value ($ Million)
25.2. Europe Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, Forecast Market Growth, 2020 - 2025, 2030F, Value ($ Million)
26.2. North America Organ-On-Chip (OOC) Market, Forecast Market Growth, 2020 - 2025, 2030F, Value ($ Million)
27.2. Emulate Inc.
27.2.1. Company Overview
27.2.2. Products And Services
27.2.3. Business Strategy
27.2.4. Financial Overview
27.3. Mimetas BV
27.3.1. Company Overview
27.3.2. Products And Services
27.3.3. Business Strategy
27.3.4. Financial Overview
27.4. AxoSim Inc.
27.4.1. Company Overview
27.4.2. Products And Services
27.4.3. Business Strategy
27.4.4. Financial Overview
27.5. Nortis Inc.
27.5.1. Company Overview
27.5.2. Products And Services
27.5.3. Business Strategy
27.5.4. Financial Overview
27.6. TissUse GmbH
27.6.1. Company Overview
27.6.2. Products And Services
27.6.3. Business Strategy
27.6.4. Financial Overview
28.2. Funding Landscape - Europe
28.3. Funding Landscape - Asia
28.4. Funding Landscape - ROW
29.2. AxoSim Acquired Organome
29.3. BioIVT Acquired Ascendance Biotechnology
30.2. Global Organ-On-Chip Market In 2025- Growth Strategies
30.2.1. Market Trend Based Strategies
30.2.2. Competitor Strategies
32.2. Research Methodology
32.4. Research Inquiries
32.5. About the Publisher
32.6. Copyright and Disclaimer
Executive SummaryThis report describes and evaluates the global organ-on-chip (OOC) market. It covers two five-year periods, 2015 to 2020, termed the historic period, and 2020 through to 2025, the forecast period.
The organ-on-chip market consists of sales of organs-on-chips by entities (organizations, sole traders and partnerships) that manufacture organs-on-chips used for drug development, toxicity testing, and personalized medicine research. Organs-on-chips (OOCs) are small plastic devices with biocompatible microfluidic chambers containing multiple live human cells in a 3D culture that simulate key physiological functions of body organs. Organs-on-chips that mimic the organ level physiology of humans are a promising alternative to animal models.
The global OOC market reached a value of nearly $50.8 million in 2020, having increased at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 59.5% since 2015. The market is expected to grow from $50.8 million in 2020 to $177.8 million in 2025 at a rate of 28.5%. The market is then expected to grow at a CAGR of 14.6% from 2025 and reach $350.8 million in 2030.
Growth in the historic period resulted from increased demand for personalized medicine, the growing need to minimize financial losses due to late-stage drug failure, and substantial funding of public and private sources for OOC start-ups and research groups. Factors that negatively affected growth in the historic period were the high costs associated with OOCs, the limitations of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), the most commonly used substrate material for the fabrication of OOCs and lack of skilled resources for the development of the OOC technology.
Going forward, the adoption of OOC technology by major pharmaceutical companies such as Roche and AstraZeneca among many others, increasing drug repurposing approaches in the OOC industry, and rising healthcare expenditure will drive growth in the forecast period. Factors that could hinder the growth of the OOC market in the future include compatibility problems that may occur due to the lack of standardization, OOCs are not high throughput to conduct multiple assays, cell survivability issues, the COVID-19 pandemic, and resistance in the adoption and regulation of new medical options can negatively impact the market growth.
The OOC market is segmented by organ type into multi-organs-on-chip, lung-on-chip, heart-on-chip, liver-on-chip, intestine-on-chip, kidney-on-chip, skin-on-chip, blood-brain-barrier-on-chip, and other organ models. The other organ model segment was the largest segment of the OOC market segment by organ, accounting for 14.6% of the total in 2020. Going forward, the heart-on-chip segment is expected to be the fastest-growing segment at a CAGR of 32.6% during 2020-2025.
The OOC market is also segmented by application into toxicology research, drug discovery, molecular biology, disease modelling, food safety, and other applications. The toxicology research segment was the largest segment of the OOC market by application, accounting for 30.4% of the total in 2020. Going forward, the drug discovery segment is expected to be the fastest-growing segment at a CAGR of 30.2% during 2020-2025.
The OOC market is also segmented by end-users into biopharmaceutical companies, academics, food & beverages and other commercial industries. The biopharmaceutical companies’ segment was the largest segment of the OOC market by end-users, accounting for 54.4% of the total in 2020. Going forward, the biopharmaceutical companies is expected to be the fastest-growing segment at a CAGR of 29.5% during 2020-2025.
The OOC market is also segmented by product & services into device and testing services. The testing segment was the largest segment of the OOC market by product & services, accounting for 57.6% of the total in 2020. Going forward, the device segment is expected to be the fastest-growing segment at a CAGR of 30.7% during 2020-2025.
The OOC market is also segmented by type of material into polymer, PDMS, glass, and silicon. The polymer segment was the largest segment of OOC market by type, accounting for 57.1% of the total in 2020. Going forward, the silicon segment is expected to be the fastest growing segment at a CAGR of 89.9% during 2020-2025.
North America was the largest market for OOC, accounting for 55.7% of the global market in 2020. It was followed by Europe, Asia and then rest of the world. Going forward, Asia and Rest of the world will be the fastest growing regions in the OOC market, where growth will be at CAGRs of 34.1% and 33.0% respectively during 2020-2025. These will be followed by Europe and North America where the markets are expected to grow at CAGRs of 28.5% and 26.9% respectively.
The global OOC market is relatively concentrated with small number of players. The market is attractive to new market entrants who are able to see a clear route into the market which is not dominated by controlling companies; this is especially true of this market which is run by university off-spins and smaller research labs. The top ten competitors in the market made up to 82.83% of the total market in 2020. Major players in the market include Emulate Inc., AxoSim Inc., Mimetas BV, TissUse GmbH, Nortis Inc., and Kirkstall.
The COVID-19 virus disrupted the supply chain operations of various medical devices manufacturing industries, but it has positively impacted the organ-on-chip market due increased need for coronavirus vaccine drug trial worldwide and increased need of research and development activities for more vaccines and thus organ-on-chip. The organ-on-chip market had seen increased demand with its potential to meet the appropriate R&D standards and providing more efficient results.
The top opportunities in the OOC market segmented by organ type will arise in the Heart-on-chip segment, which will gain $20.1 million of global annual sales by 2025.The top opportunities in the OOC market segmented by application will arise in the Toxicology Research segment, which will gain $39.8 million of global annual sales by 2025. The top opportunities in the OOC market segmented by end-users will arise in the Biopharmaceutical companies’ segment, which will gain $73.0 million of global annual sales by 2025. The top opportunities in the OOC market segmented by products & services will arise in the Testing segment, which will gain $66.3 million of global annual sales by 2025. The top opportunities in the OOC market segmented by type of material will arise in the Polymer segment, which will gain $371.7 kilo units of global annual sales by 2025. The OOC market size will gain the most in the North America at $64.7 million.
Market-trend-based strategies for the OOC market include advancing OOC technology to secure partnerships with government bodies and pharmaceutical companies, approaching space agencies to promote the use of OOCs in the research focused on human physiology and disease onboard space stations, investing in research and development to automate monitoring of OOCs’ physiological responses to drugs, producing OOCs through 3D printing technology to quickly fabricate and customize OOCs, integrating artificial intelligence with organs-on-chip, investing in the production of humans-on-chips to assess drug effects on all organs of the body, integrating various technology on the same chip, investing in the development of custom organs-on-chips to meet needs of end-users, manufacturers are developing disease-specific models as well as organ models to expedite drug testing, raising funds to expand their product portfolio and globalize commercially, and entering into strategic collaborations and partnerships with pharmaceutical companies to improve drug discovery and predict the effects of their medicines in humans. Player-adopted strategies in the OOC industry include researching and developing its organ-on-chips products to be used for the study of different cancers, providing broad neuroscience models to support their biopharmaceutical partners, and expanding their product portfolios through strategic collaborations.
To take advantage of the opportunities, the publisher recommends that OOC companies consider developing human-on-chip models that will reduce the need of animal testing, focus on R&D to develop disease models for liver, lungs, hearts, and other organs, focus on pricing based on economies, use Direct-To-Consumer (DTC) advertising, and collaborate with pharmaceutical companies.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Emulate Inc.
- Mimetas BV
- AxoSim Inc.
- Nortis Inc.
- TissUse GmbH