This study examines the $9.9 billion market for motivational “self-improvement” programs and products that seek to improve us physically, mentally, financially or spiritually.
It discusses the market for: books, CDs/DVDs, audiobooks, infomercials, motivational speakers, public seminars, workshops, retreats, webinars, holistic institutes, personal coaching, websites, apps, Internet courses, training organizations and more. Nature of the business and outlooks for each market segment. Major topic categories covered: weight loss/exercise, business/sales skills, business opportunities/investing, improving relationships, and general motivational.
The study analyzes market segments/industry structure, the market’s $ size/growth (2003-2022 forecast), latest trends, latest survey findings of trade associations, the shift to Internet delivery of content, customer demographics, in-depth profiles of 60 top motivational speakers (Tony Robbins, Deepak Chopra, Phil McGraw, Dr. Laura, Brian Tracy, Suze Orman, Tom Hopkins, Robert Kiyosaki, Zig Ziglar, many others), top 100 infomercials list, 2016 status reports of the U.S. weight loss market, and more.
New for This Edition:
- Demographic analysis of Millennials, Baby Boomer Clients, book buyers, infomercial buyers, audiobook users, holistic institute attendees, SI website visitors, weight loss/dieters, personal coaching clients.
- New guru/speaker profiles: Oprah Winfrey, Joel Osteen, Tim Ferriss, Jay McGraw, Eckhart Tolle, Danielle LaPorte, Lewis Howes, Paul McKenna, John Maxwell, Mastin Kipp.
- 2017 & 2022 Forecasts.
- Analysis of the self-improvement apps market.
Contains a 115-page chapter profiling the activities/specialties and revenues of the top motivational speakers and gurus, with in-depth profiles of the top 60. 100 in-depth competitor company and guru profiles: Nightingale-Conant, Hay House, Peak Potentials, Landmark Education, Skillpath, National Seminars Group, Fred Pryor/Career-Track, Selfgrowth.com, Success Magazine, Beliefnet.com, Toastmasters, Dale Carnegie Associates, Franklin-Covey, Sandler Training, Toastmasters, Omega Institute, Esalen, Robbin Research, Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, Beliefnet, SelfGrowth.com, Headspace, The Chopra Center, more.
Introduction: Study Scope & Methodology
- Explanation of where the information came from: “primary” & “secondary” sources: methodology, definition of the self-improvement market, scope of the research
Executive Overview of Major Findings
- Highlights of ALL chapters - Discussion of market nature & definition, characteristics, major developments of past two years, avg. customer profile, why demand exists for programs, customer demographic profile.
- Findings/transcripts of interviews with market movers & shakers at: selfgrowth.com (David Riklan, Coach Federation), technology trends, marketing methods.
- Changing of the guard: older gurus retiring and dying, who will replace them?
- The explosion of SI content via Internet entrepreneurs - discussion
- Market Size & Growth, Segments: Table/Discussion of total market size, growth rates, outlook (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2015-2017, 2022 forecasts), estd. $ size of major segments
- By Distribution Channel: Infomercials, mail order catalogs, motivational speaker seminars, holistic institutes, self-improvement books & audiobooks, personal coaching
- Market Segment Outlooks: discussion of mkt. size/growth/characteristics/trends for: 1. Infomercials (retail sales by topic, qtrly. media billings), 2. Motivational speakers mkt., 3. Personal coaching market, 4. Holistic institutes & training organizations mkt., 5. self-improvement books mkt. 6. Audiobooks mkt., 7. Public seminars, 8. Websites & Internet mastery courses and apps, 9. Weight programs loss mkt.
- Status report of the U.S. Weight Loss Industry ($ size 2002-2016, by 10 mkt. segments, trends, dieter demographics/number, mkt. nature, major mkt. trends/developments, etc.)
Demographics of Self-improvement Customers
- Estimated share of self-improvement consumers: male vs. female
- Growth and future outlook of demand from Millennials vs. Baby Boomers (income, spending on self-improvement, services used, most popular gurus for Millennials, etc.)
- Infomercial buyer demographics
- Book and audiobook customer demographics
- Personal coaching customer demographics
- Self-help magazine subscriber profile
- Weight loss program customer demographics (no. by type diet plans used)
- Holistic institutes, retreats, and workshop attendee demographics.
- Self-improvement websites user demographics.
The Motivational Speakers Market
- Discussion of number of professional speakers in the U.S., avg. earnings, estimated income for the top gurus (table) - from speaking engagements, books, consulting, training, list of top speakers’ bureaus, how speakers operate
- Recent market trends: live events, shift in product mix to webinars/online courses
- Avg. yearly earnings per motivational speaker, % from products/speaking/other services
- Overview/size of corporate training market
- Speaking fees by person: top speakers - table
- List/ranking of top 101 self-improvement experts, compiled by Self-Improvement Online, Inc.
In-depth profiles of top self-improvement “gurus”/celebrities (living and past) - descriptions of their organizations, biographies, revenue estimates/actual when available, products/services offered, books authored, speaking fees, consulting, specialties, headquarters address, websites, for:
- Anthony Robbins
- Jack Canfield
- Mark Victor Hansen
- Deepak Chopra
- Suze Orman
- Stephen Covey
- Marianne Williamson
- Brendon Burchard
- Zig Ziglar
- Brian Tracy
- Dr. Phil McGraw
- Dr. Laura Schlessinger
- Kevin Trudeau
- Sylvia Browne
- Dale Carnegie
- Wayne Dyer
- Robert Kiyosaki
- Robert Allen
- John Gray
- Iyanla Vanzant
- Les Brown
- Louise Hay
- Og Mandino
- Ken Blanchard
- L. Ron Hubbard
- Napoleon Hill
- Tom Hopkins
- Leo Buscaglia
- Jim Rohn
- Spencer Johnson
- Barbara DeAngelis
- Earl Nightingale
- John Kabat-Zinn
New Profiles: Oprah Winfrey, Joel Osteen, Eckhart Tolle, Gabby Bernstein, Danielle LaPorte, Mastin Kipp, Lewis Howes, John Maxwell, Jay McGraw, Paul McKenna, Tim Ferriss
The Personal Coaching Market
- Definition & summary of the market, number of active coaches in U.S., worldwide, coaching specialties, differences between coaching and consulting, corporate vs. personal coaching, most common myths about coaching, phone coaching
- Results of 2016 ICF consumer awareness studies, why people use coaches, why they don’t, their objectives, by sex, age
- Status report of the market, topics in demand, corporate vs. consumer customers
- The market’s major trade groups and periodicals (address list)
- Coaching metrics: Avg. annual earnings, fees, no. of clients, outlook, extensive operating ratios
- Market $ size and projected growth, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2016 PricewaterhouseCoopers survey findings, consumer attitudes & awareness of coaching services
- Profiles of top coaches: Bernie Siegel, Colleen Bracken, Diane Brennan, Pat Mathews, Pat Boney, Kay Cannon
- List of major coaching periodicals.
The Direct Response Market: Infomercials
- Discussion & analysis of infomercials as a sales/advertising medium, reasons for growth in popularity and doubling since 1996, emerging trends, mkt. size, 2016-17 status report, $ media billings by topic, by quarter, why infomercials are popular, effects of recession on sales
- Demographic profile of infomercial buyers from: Electronic Retailing Assn. (by sex, age, income, why they buy, how much, how often, top motivating factors, DRTV demographics
- Tables: 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016 media billings, by topic
- Table: estim. $ mkt. size (retail sales) 2011-2016, by major categories (exercise equipment, diet plans, business/financial, general motivational) - self-improvement topic
- List of top 100 long and short-form infomercials of 2013, 2011, top 100 (Jordan Whitney) - show name, products, distributor
- 2017-2022 growth forecast, historical share of total info. Sales by selfimprovement programs
- List of top infomercial producers.
- List of leading infomercials of past decade (producer, $ sales, etc.)
- List, brief descriptions of other infomercials for: weight loss, relationships, general motivational, business opportunities.
The Self-Improvement Books Market and New Age Bookstores
- Status of book buying in 2016 - $ sales by major category (Publishers Weekly annual report, self-improvement book bestsellers of 2015-2016
- The Secret - A Movie and book phenomenon that boosted the market, estim. sales, persons made famous, Oprah Winfrey’s role.
- List of bestselling self-improve. books in 2016, 2015, 2013, 2011, (units sold, $ sales, authors),
- Summary of “new age” bookstores mkt.: chains vs. independents, how many in the nation, products sold, growth, customers, specialties. estd. sales, share of sales by major topics
- Simba Information $ estimates of size of self-improvement books mkt., 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2013, 2016, 2022 forecasts, the major book distribution channels.
- Discussion/analysis of the diet books market, buyer demographics, what makes a bestseller, $ mkt. value, list of best-selling diet books since mid-1980s.
The Self-Improvement Audiobooks Market
- Market status and growth (2011-2022 forecasts), strong unit sales growth in 2013-2016, buyer demographics, popularity rank for 14 topics, where audiobooks are purchased, segments, total audiobook sales vs. share for SI audiobooks, major competitors.
- Latest APA consumer survey results on market growth, audiobook formats, sales trends, comparisons to earlier surveys.
- Latest audiobook user surveys by Consumer Electronics Assn., APA, etc. (frequency of use, no. bought, where listened to, etc.) - why estimates differ from APA’s
- Self-improvement audiobooks mkt. size vs. total spoken audio mkt.
- Leading publishers address list (address, phone, key titles published): Harper Audio, Simon & Schuster, New Star, Nightingale-Conant, Random House, TIME Warner, etc.)
- Company profiles: Nightingale-Conant, Audible.com
Self-Improvement Websites, Online Courses & Apps Market
- Discussion/summary of self-improvement websites - why most are not successful
- Discussion of increasing role of the Internet in producing SI content, positive/negatives
- Traffic rankings: 2010, 2012, 2017 Alexa, traffic ranks and estimated daily visitors for top 25 sites
- Discussion of major self-improvement apps for smartphones, major competitors
- Internet Mastery courses, money-making systems, academies and online “universities” - Why they over-promise, what they offer, marketing strategies, costs & descriptions for: Ryan Deiss, Jeff Walker, Callan Rush, Russell Brunson, Glenn Dietzel, Daniel Hall, Eben Pagan, Jay Boyer, Mike Koenigs, Steve Harrison, Jeremy Frandsen & Jay Van Orden
- Competitor profiles: Selfgrowth.com, Consciousone.com, TSTN.com, success.com, Beliefnet.com , Thirdage.com. (headquarters, site description & specialties).
Holistic Institutes & Training Organizations
(Self-improvement workshops, seminars, courses, retreats, training organizations)
- Discussion of overall market status and 16 U.S. centers’ philosophies, course offerings and prices, 2016 vs. 2013 enrollments, growth since 1960s, nonprofit/for-profit status, specializations, estd. & actual revenues/budgets, workshop topics in demand, mkt. size and 2022 forecasts.
- Status of the market in 2016, enrollments, trends
- Table: Estim. revenues in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2016 for top institutes, training organizations
- Address List of top centers in the U.S., directors’ names, 2016 attendance for each center
- Descriptive profiles and background, sample courses, no. attendees, for leading facilities: (Omega Institute, Esalen Institute, New York Open Center, Oasis Center, Naropa, Option Institute, Wainwright House - 2015 financial statements/budgets/expenses by type)
- Franklin-Covey Co. - profile, training/consulting vs. retail business, financials: 2008-2016
- Sandler Training - profile, revenues
- Dale Carnegie Training - profile, revenues
- Toastmasters International - profile, revenues
- Gaia (Gaiam Inc.) - profile, financials, acquisition by Sequential Brands Group
- Hay House - profile, estd. revenues.
The Public Seminars Market
- Discussion/analysis of large group vs. small group seminars, difference in cost structure, profitability, fees, individual speakers doing public seminars, mkt. size and status report, why this is a difficult model to make profitable, estd. mkt. size., IRS Form 990 fiscal 2010-2013 actual revenues/expenses/profits statements)
- Company Profile: Fred Pryor/CareerTrack (Park University)
- Company Profile: Learning Strategies Corp.
- Company Profile: Skillpath Seminars (Graceland Univ.)
- Company Profile: National Seminars Group (Rockhurst Univ.)
- Company Profile: Landmark Education
- Company Profile: Peak Potentials, T. Harv Eker.
Status Report of The U.S. Weight Loss Market
- Summary/status of the industry in 2016-2017 - recent and emerging trends, forecasts, advertising trends, current do-it-yourself trend
- 2016 Performance of leading commercial, medical, online chains (Medifast, NutriSystem, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers - public & private companies)
- Discussion of major industry trends, major mkt. developments., medical programs untapped potential, the move to retail outlets and healthcare mini-clinics, Obamacare.
- Reasons why commercial diet companies are growing again, untapped mkts., lack of customization, poor management, other factors
- 2016 performance of: commercial programs, medical programs
- Table: Estimates of the 10 major segments of the diet industry, $ values (2010 to 2016) - diet soft drinks, artificial sweeteners, health clubs, commercial programs, medical programs by type, low-cal foods, retail meal replacements, diet pills, diet books, etc.)
- Table: Comparative growth rate for all diet mkt. segments
- Tables: Revenues of commercial diet centers, market share of top chains (2010-2016).
Reference Directory of Information Sources (free with any chapter order)
(Names, addresses, phone, key contacts at relevant trade groups, journals, periodicals in the field)
- Dale Carnegie Associates
- Fred Pryor/Career-Track
- Hay House
- Landmark Education
- National Seminars Group
- Omega Institute
- Peak Potentials
- Robbin Research
- Sandler Training
- Success Magazine
- The Chopra Center
- Weight Watchers
- and more...