This report provides:
- An overview of the market for roll-to-roll (R2R) technologies in the development and commercialization of flexible devices, including electronic devices, such as flexible displays, and energy devices, such as flexible solar cells
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2014, estimates for 2015, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2020
- Description of various types of flexible devices produced by R2R methods, together with a historical review of the technology and an outline of the most significant recent developments; current and emerging applications for these products also will be discussed
- Examination of technical issues, and examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for
- A list of the leading providers of R2R technologies and flexible devices, along with a description of their products
- Profiles of major players in the industry
Reasons For Doing This Study:
Although the first flexible circuits were produced in the early 1900s, introduction of R2R technologies for manufacturing these circuits occurred many years later in Japan during the 1980s. The use of R2R methods has become more common, while various processes have been adapted for applications in creating patterns on flexible substrates.
The need to produce advanced devices on a large scale with high throughput, low cost, and high quality, while at the same time using fabrication methods that are environmentally friendly and energy efficient is also leading to the rapid expansion of the printed electronics market. This market is currently valued at approximately $9 billion and is estimated to grow at a robust rate during the five-year period between 2015 and 2020.
The availability of various printing methods adapted to R2R processing represents a major contributing factor to the current and future expansion of the flexible device market.
The principal reason for this report is to present a current assessment of the R2R flexible device industry from both a technological and market point of view, as well as outline future trends and key developments.
There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of this market from a global standpoint. As the use of these products expands and new fields of application emerge, information on suppliers and developers of these devices and their regional distribution becomes more valuable.
In addition, this report aims to provide technical insights into R2R manufacturing offlexible devices by:
- Providing a review of fabrication technologies.
- Identifying current technological trends.
- Providing an overview of the main global research and development (R&D) activities related to R2R flexible devices, resulting in the issuance of patents.
- Illustrating the latest technological developments.
- This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements and new product development, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
- Study Goals And Objectives
- Reasons For Doing This Study
- Intended Audience
- Scope Of Report
- Methodology And Information Sources
- Analyst's Credentials
Chapter 2: Executive Summary
Chapter 3: Overview
- Importance Of Flexible Devices And R2R Processes
- Milestones In The History Of R2R Flexible Devices And Recent Events
- Current And Emerging Flexible Devices Produced By R2R Technologies
Chapter 4: Roll-To-Roll Technologies
- Basic Roll-To-Roll Fabrication Process
- Substrate Selection
- Film Deposition And Patterning
- Assembly, Cutting, Testing And Packaging
- Latest Technological Developments From 2013 To Present
- Other Relevant R&D Activities
Chapter 5: Global Markets
- Analysis Outline
- Global Market Summary
- Current Market Status
- Market Growth Trends
- Market Forecast
Chapter 6: Global Industry Structure
- Leading Manufacturers Of Flexible Devices By R2R Technologies
- Leading Producers Of Materials For Fabrication Of Flexible Devices By R2R Technologies
- Other Players In The R2R Industry
- Company Profiles
Chapter 7: U.S. Patent Analysis
- Summary Of Patents Awarded During The Period 2013 Through 2015
- General Trends
- Trends By Country And Region
- Trends By Assignee
- Trends By Patent Category
- Trends By Process
- Trends By Device Type
List Of Tables
- Summary Table : Global Market For Flexible Devices Manufactured By R2R Technologies, Through 2020
- Table 1 : R2R Flexible Devices-Technological Milestones
- Table 2 : Flexible Devices Manufactured By R2R Technologies, 2015
- Table 3 : Electrochromic Materials, 2015
- Table 4 : Basic Roll-To-Roll Fabrication Steps, 2015
- Table 5 : Substrate Materials For R2R Manufacturing, 2015
- Table 6 : Thick-Film Coating Technologies, 2015
- Table 7 : Thin-Film Coating Technologies, 2015
- Table 8 : Lithographic Methods, 2015
- Table 9 : Printing Technologies, 2015
- Table 10 : Other Relevant R&D Activities, 2015
- Table 11 : Global Market For R2R Flexible Devices, Through 2020
- Table 12 : Current Market For R2R Flexible Devices, Through 2015
- Table 13 : Current Market For R2R Flexible Devices By Type, Through 2015
- Table 14 : Current Market For R2R Flexible Devices By Process, Through 2015
- Table 15 : Current Market For R2R Flexible Devices By Substrate Material, Through 2015
- Table 16 : Current Market For R2R Flexible Devices By Region, Through 2015
- Table 17 : Global Market For Semiconductors By Region, Through 2020
- Table 18 : Global Market For Portable Computers, Ultra-Light Chromebooks And Tablets, 2015 And 2020
- Table 19 : Global Market For Mems And Nems By Type, 2015 And 2020
- Table 20 : Global Market For Advanced Displays By Type, Through 2020
- Table 21 : Global Production For Photovoltaic Modules By Type, Through 2020
- Table 22 : Global Market For Fuel Cells By Type, Through 2020
- Table 23 : Global Market For Sensors By Type, Through 2020
- Table 24 : Global Market For Biosensors And Other Common Sensors, Through 2020
- Table 25 : Film Or Feature Thickness Achievable By Different Printing Methods, 2015
- Table 26 : Global Market Forecast For R2R Flexible Devices By Type, Through 2020
- Table 27 : Global Market Forecast For R2R Flexible Devices By Process, Through 2020
- Table 28 : Global Market Forecast For R2R Flexible Devices By Substrate Material, Through 2020
- Table 29 : Global Market Forecast For R2R Flexible Devices By Region, Through 2020
- Table 30 : Leading Manufacturers Of Flexible Devices By R2R Technologies, 2015
- Table 31 : Leading Manufacturers Of Flexible Devices By R2R Technologies By Device Type, 2015
- Table 32 : Leading Suppliers Of Flexible Devices By R2R Technologies By Device Type And Region, 2015
- Table 33 : Leading Producers Of Materials For Fabrication Of R2R Flexible Devices, 2015
- Table 34 : Other Relevant Industry Players, 2015
- Table 35 : R2R Flexible Devices - U.S. Patents, 2015
- Table 36 : R2R Flexible Devices - U.S. Patents, 2014
- Table 37 : R2R Flexible Devices - U.S. Patents, 2013
- Table 38 : U.S. Patent Related To R2R Flexible Devices, 2010 To 2015
- Table 39 : Assignees Of U.S. Patents Related To R2R Flexible Devices, 2013-2015*
List Of Figures
- Summary Figure : Global Market For Flexible Devices Manufactured By R2R Technologies, 2013-2020
- Figure 1 : Number Of Global Flexible Devices Patents Issued, 1970-2014
- Figure 2 : Global Market For R2R Flexible Devices, 2013 To 2020
- Figure 3 : Current Market For R2R Flexible Devices, 2013 To 2015
- Figure 4 : Current Market Share For R2R Flexible Devices By Type, 2015
- Figure 5 : Current Market Share For R2R Flexible Devices By Process, 2015
- Figure 6 : Current Market Share For R2R Flexible Devices By Substrate Material, 2015
- Figure 7 : Current Market Share For R2R Flexible Devices By Region, 2015
- Figure 8 : Global Market Share For Advanced Displays By Type, 2015 And 2020
- Figure 9 : Global Production Share For Photovoltaic Modules By Type, 2020
- Figure 10 : Global Market Share Forecast For R2R Flexible Devices By Type, 2020
- Figure 11 : Global Market Share Forecast For R2R Flexible Devices By Process, 2020
- Figure 12 : Global Market Share Forecast For R2R Flexible Devices By Substrate Material, 2020
- Figure 13 : Global Market Share Forecast For R2R Flexible Devices By Region, 2020
- Figure 14 : U.S. Patent Related To R2R Flexible Devices, 2010-2015
- Figure 15 : Shares Of U.S. Patents Related To R2R Flexible Devices By Region, 2013-2015*
- Figure 16 : U.S. Patent Related To R2R Flexible Devices By Country, 2013-2015*
- Figure 17 : Shares Of U.S. Patents Related To R2R Flexible Devices By Organization Type, 2013-2015*
- Figure 18 : Shares Of U.S. Patents Related To R2R Flexible Devices By Category, 2013-2015*
- Figure 19 : Shares Of U.S. Patents Related To R2R Flexible Devices By Process, 2013-2015*
- Figure 20 : Shares Of U.S. Patents Related To R2R Flexible Devices By Type, 2013-2015*
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
- Manufacture, sell, and distribute flexible devices.
- Supply raw materials for R2R fabrication of flexible devices.
- Manufacture process equipment utilized by producers of flexible devices.
- Fabricate products that use flexible devices (such as portable electronic devices, digital signage, electronic price tags and labels, and wearable electronic products).
- Provide technical and/or marketing services in conjunction with the above-mentioned products.
- Are planning to enter the flexible device industry as a supplier, manufacturer, or end-user.
Overall, this report applies to industry segments such as electronics, optoelectronics, energy, sensors and healthcare.
The study is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above-mentioned industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this report to be a good source of technical information regarding R2R technologies and flexible devices — as well as their applications — which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities.
Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the flexible device industry.
Scope of Report:
This report provides an updated review of R2R technologies for flexible devices, including a description of various device types and R2R fabrication processes, and identifies current and emerging devices fabricated using R2R technologies.
We determined the current market status for these products, defines trends, and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The R2R flexible device market is based on the following segments: device type, substrate material, process, and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed.
More specifically, the market analysis is divided into five sections. In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of R2R technologies for flexible devices are provided, including an outline of recent events. This section identifies devices that are currently commercially available or emerging, and offers a description of the main types.
The second section provides a technological review of the fabrication steps used to manufacture R2R flexible devices, with an outline of the most common processes. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2013, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for, as well as highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field.
The third section entails a global market analysis of R2R flexible devices. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (device type, process, substrate material, and region) with actual data for the years 2013 and 2014, and estimated revenues for 2015.
The analysis of current revenues for R2R flexible devices is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends based on industry growth, technological trends, and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected revenues for R2R flexible devices within each segment, together with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for 2015 through 2020.
In the fourth section of the study, which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading manufacturers of R2R flexible devices, together with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these suppliers and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided.
- Ascent Solar Technologies
- Avery Dennison
- E Ink Holdings
- E Ink Corp.
- Flexium Interconnect
- Gsi Technologies
- Johnson Electric
- Kent Displays
- Konica Minolta
- Lg Displays
- Nippon Mektron Ltd.
- Nitto Denko
- Samsung Electronics
- Sumitomo Electric
- Thin Film Electronics
- Zhen Ding Technology