Contemporary Catalysis: Fundamental Aspects of the Preparation, Characterisation and Testing of Heterogeneous Catalysts and their Application in Catalytic Processes deals with the fundamentals and modern practical applications of catalysis. Topics addressed in the first section include historical development and the importance of heterogeneous catalysis in the modern world, surfaces and adsorption, the catalyst (preparation and characterization), the reactor (integral and differential reactors, etc.), an introduction to spectroscopic and thermal characterization techniques, and more. The second section contains chapters on important industrial processes, potential processes and separate chapters on syngas production, Fischer Tropsch synthesis, petroleum refining, environmental protection and biomass conversion.
- Covers all aspects of catalysis in a carefully organized text
- Includes material on historical development and personalities involved
- Presents concepts that are illustrated by practical examples
- Provides a wide range of problems and solutions, case studies and supplementary, web based materials that are regularly updated
1. Historical introduction and the current importance of heterogeneous catalysis 2. Catalyst preparation and characterisation 3. Kinetics and Mechanism 4. CO2 and energy 5. The production and uses of hydrogen
Julian Ross has been actively involved in research on surface chemistry and catalysis for more than 50 years. Although he has always worked in an academic environment (UK, The Netherlands and Ireland), he has always been closely associated with industrial ctalysis companies and has acted as consultant to many those active in the field. He is author of more than 200 publications as well as of a significant number of patents on catalysts and processes; his work has been highly cited, his h-index in early 2014 being 40. He has supervised more than 50 PhD theses and some 20 post-doctoral researchers working on topics such as natural gas conversion, selective oxidation, membrane catalysis, zirconia as a catalyst support, environmental catalysis and biomass conversion. He was founding editor of Catalysis Today (Elsevier) and acted as Senior Editor of this journal for more than 25 years; in that capacity, he was responsible for commissioning and supervising the production of specialised issues reporting research on most modern areas of catalysis.