This elegantly edited landmark edition of Gert Kjærgård Pedersen's C*-Algebras and their Automorphism Groups (1979) carefully and sensitively extends the classic work to reflect the wealth of relevant novel results revealed over the past forty years. Revered from publication for its writing clarity and extremely elegant presentation of a vast space within operator algebras, Pedersen's monograph is notable for reviewing partially ordered vector spaces and group automorphisms in unusual detail, and by strict intention releasing the C*-algebras from the yoke of representations as Hilbert space operators. Under the editorship of Søren Eilers and Dorte Olesen, the second edition modernizes Pedersen's work for a new generation of C*-algebraists, with voluminous new commentary, all-new indexes, annotation and terminology annexes, and a surfeit of new discussion of applications and of the author's later work.
- Covers basic C*-algebras theory in a short and appealingly elegant way, with a few additions and corrections given to the editors by the original author
- Expands coverage to select contemporary accomplishments in C*-algebras of direct relevance to the scope of the first edition, including aspects of K-theory and set theory
- Identifies key modern literature in an updated bibliography with over 100 new entries, and greatly enhances indexing throughout
- Modernizes coverage of algebraic problems in relation to the theory of unitary representations of locally compact groups
- Reviews mathematical accomplishments of Gert K. Pedersen in comments and a biography
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
1. Abstract C*-Algebras 2. Concrete C*-Algebras 3. Functionals and Representations 4. Decomposition Theory 5. Weights and Traces 6. Type I C*-Algebras 7. Automorphism Groups 8. Spectral Theory for Automorphism Groups
Søren Eilers obtained his PhD from the University of Copenhagen in 1995 under the supervision of Gert K. Pedersen and coauthored several papers with him. He is an editor for Mathematica Scandinavica and Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications and a specialist in the classification of C*-algebras and dynamical systems.
Dorte Olesen received the Gold Medal of the University of Copenhagen in 1974, and a Doctorate of Science in 1981. She coauthored many papers with Gert K. Pedersen before she became Director-General of the Danish IT Centre for Research and Education from 1989-2011. In 2011 she joined the
Technical University of Denmark. In 1992, she was awarded the Cross of Knight of Dannebrog by HM Queen Margrethe II, and in 2000 the Cross of the First Degree.